The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread

Just third party i’m pretty sure… i should check i can’t remember haha

As for hitching - something i also have been doing all winter, i always have a full car load from van to whistler and back, usually the going rate is about $10-15 one way van to whister, Squamish rides are usually $10 give or take for return to whis. dont feel bad, everyone knows how expensive cars/petrol is (in winter its about 1.20/L in summer 1.40/L

I have a car, its ‘$140/month for rego/insurance.

I bought a 4wd for a touch under 3 grand and its served me well and yes, whenever i go to Squampton i post it in the Whistler facebook page and charge $10pp and it covers my fuel.

Wooo just got my visa approved! All clear to work in Canada. So snow season is looking good, hit up our season then head off to Canada to arrive in time for the job fair :D

Congrats Leasha! hopefully I can finish my new app soon smile

leasha101 - 07 May 2015 09:03 PM

Wooo just got my visa approved! All clear to work in Canada. So snow season is looking good, hit up our season then head off to Canada to arrive in time for the job fair :D

Great stuff, Alysha! I’m very happy for you. I’m looking forward to catching up when you get here! shaka

^ +1, BW JAM SHREEEEEEED! =)

Congratz! See you in Canada. I assume if your attending the job fair your looking at whistler too?

Hey,
    Stumbled on this site while i was trying to do some research about working in Canada on the weekend. I’m set on Whilstler. Best information getting around on the net, thanks heaps! Got the visa application going, bookmarked sites for accom and all. My issue is I can’t really get there till mid November thus missing the fairs. I can go until around early Jan without work but would like to pick some up latest around then.
From your experiences if I’m constantly in touch with managers and meeting people is there a good chance i’ll find something??? Ideally a lifty or something with 3 days off.

Cheers
Steve

Depends what you want to do mate. If you don’t mind cleaning rooms, you can do that the day you show up. Lifty is harder but people do leave at times and you can get lucky.

Best thing to do is network with people, make friends with the lifties and keep an ear out.

If you went to pretty much any other mountain, you could apply and try to get a job as a lifty for when you arrive.

StevieP - 11 May 2015 10:11 PM

Hey,
    Stumbled on this site while i was trying to do some research about working in Canada on the weekend. I’m set on Whilstler. Best information getting around on the net, thanks heaps! Got the visa application going, bookmarked sites for accom and all. My issue is I can’t really get there till mid November thus missing the fairs. I can go until around early Jan without work but would like to pick some up latest around then.
From your experiences if I’m constantly in touch with managers and meeting people is there a good chance i’ll find something??? Ideally a lifty or something with 3 days off.

Cheers
Steve

I guess it’s my own personal preference but i can’t think of anything worst that being a lifty.

1) Sure you get awesome days but when its white out and crap last thing i want to be doing is manning lifts
2) On an awesome day or any day in general, your manning lifts and not boarding
3) On shit days if they close lifts there may be less work (not sure if they cut back on some of the liftys)

I much rather find something that pays decent (tips etc) and work arvo/nights.

Actually I worked in a bar and I worked as a lifty.

Lifty job was awesome.

I dont mind a bit of hard work/exercise and I dont mind the cold and I like people - most of the time I got at least 3-4 runs in on days that i worked. you work long days so you get 3 days weekends.

If that sounds ok to you then you’ll enjoy it - the LAST thing i ever wanted to do was clean up peoples filthy hotel rooms - you can be hungover and be a lifty no worries grin Its not for everyone but it has its perks -

As for picking up a job in November. it depends really on the season and how it goes but i’d say you will definitely get a job before Jan, they often do a second hire intake in december before they open the alpine lifts.

I have done 3 seasons and never once worked as a lifty - for all those negative reasons people point out.

But in hindsight - I kinda wish I had.

Think of it this way - it not an easy job to get.

If cleaning was the best job do you think it would be so easy to get.

I say aim for being a lifty - if you hate it there will always be a hospitality job going somewhere.

^ You can always work for a luxury hotel, and meet celebs and rich ppl who tip very well, and get awesome rates at their other hotels, like my mrs does.

Speaking of which, I think I have to increase the timeline in which I move over up North, and do a Beyonce on her.

furorsekka - 08 May 2015 06:23 PM

Congratz! See you in Canada. I assume if your attending the job fair your looking at whistler too?

Thanks, yeah I most likley will be attending the Whistler one and maybe a few others just to keep options open.

What’s Whistler like in say end of September start of October?
I’m just thinking of what i’m going to do after I finish at Perisher and I’m thinking of either moving to Van or Whistler for a month or so. Try and find a bar job or anything really and wait for the job fairs to start, what are seasoned thoughts on this?