The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Hitcase for iPhone

Hitcase PRO+ for iPhone — “Convert your iPhone into an Action Camera”

I’ve wanted a Hitcase PRO+ for my iPhone 5s for a while now. I know several pros use them, including “When in Whistler” and Sandbox / 3CS shredder Geoff Brown, and it’s always caught my eye when I see it in the shops. I use my iPhone for everything when I’m snowboarding and travelling. I used to carry point and shoot cameras, GoPros etc., but in the last couple of years my iPhone has replaced everything. The only limiting factors being I have to be careful dropping it, getting it wet, and the viewing angle is far from ideal for filming anything close. So I decided to finally get myself the Hitcase PRO+ for my iPhone 5.

I haven’t used it yet, but I wanted to share my excitement, and give you some information on it. Just from playing with it, I can tell you the construction is super impressive, and the seals are strong and lock into place on three sides (the fourth side being the hinge) and it would give me a lot of confidence putting my iPhone under water (each unit is waterproof tested). I will be using it in the coming weeks and I hope to put some sort of edit together with footage exclusively using my iPhone and the Hitcase. I will keep this thread updated with results, videos, and a review.

Here are some photos of what’s included in the box:

It comes with: waterproof and shockproof case, slider attachment (to attach to the pole), an extendable pole, fisheye lens, standard flat lens, silicone protective covers for front and back of both lenses (4 total), flat/curved mount attachments, and a lanyard.

Here’s some stock images from the Hitcase website:

HITCASE PRO+ for iPhone — FIELD OF VIEW TEST

I just had a quick play with the fisheye lens. I took two photos from the exact same spot. The first photo is just the iPhone 5s without any attachments; the second photo is using the Hitcase PRO+ with the fisheye lens attachment.

iPhone 5s photo without Hitcase PRO+

iPhone 5s photo with Hitcase PRO+ and fisheye lens

OTHER EARLY OBSERVATIONS

One thing I noticed straight away when I started using the case is that I get a much more stable grip when holding the phone in my hand. I have always felt the iPhone can be an awkward size and shape for filming freehand; the iPhone is so thin that it’s hard to get a stable grip when filming action (especially if you are moving as well). The phone sometimes slides and moves around in my hand, giving the video a shaky feel.

Just holding it in my hand while taking some photos, the Hitcase PRO+ case is significantly easier to handle. It’s obviously bigger than just the phone, but it’s really not that big at all (I’d have no issues sliding it straight into my jacket pocket). The case makes it easier to hold, gives more weight to the phone, and the texture is grippy enough that it won’t move around in your hand. Generally, it just gives a significantly sturdier feel. I know I’m going to feel a lot more comfortable filming with the case on. I’m getting really excited to use this thing on the snow!

^ very nice.

There seems to be some loss of quality around the edges (blurring) with the fishlens attachment on, but I think that’s very normal for something that you just “wack on” on top of original lens as opposed to modifying the phone. Plus the focus with fishlens is usually what is in the centre so I give it 2 thumbs up! =)

Maybe one thumb up and one sideways….

Yeh but then you have a rubber case that is massive, sliding that into pockets isnt going to be easy! Especially with the lens on it.

Beats carrying around a GoPro, especially since I’m already carrying my phone. It’s a big commitment for me to carry around an additional camera or GoPro when riding.

I’m 100 times more likely to film with my phone as it’s always with me. The case really doesn’t make it that much bigger.

My opinion, anyway.

^ Too true, especially for casual filming. Plus it’ll still fit in a jacket pocket.

This is pretty good for “Oh hey check out that hit it’s pretty huge wanna quickly film you doing it,” kinda thing. (which I believe is where the best footage comes from. )

yeah its not gonna be a replacement for a go pro thats for sure. and i dont really mind carrying my gorpro in my pocket, but carrying the pole sucks. unless its a powder day or i’m riding with a backpack.

But it is going to be good for those days where you wanna grab 1 quick clip of something - not a day of filming people jibing and parking.

how easy is the fish eye to put on and off? would you take it and do it on the snow or always have it on?

It screws in an out just by turning it 180° — super easy. There is a silicone cap for the front and back of the lens for protection. Worth noting: the flat lens is about half the size as the fisheye.

The fisheye isn’t even that big. It sticks out about 1cm from the case. I don’t think I would even bother unscrewing it. Fits in my pocket, no problem.

I took the Hitcase out for a little test yesterday. Only did a couple of runs. Here’s a few raw shots, mixed with a tune anyone can groove to. Mostly shots of Rhys spraying me with snow, Finney’s first day back on the snow, Rhys falling over, and some snowboarding mixed in for good measure. It’s a fun device to work with. I’m slowly getting used to how to shoot with it (you can get super close to the subject matter), and I’m looking forward to taking it out again and getting some better shots.

your a bloody cinegraphic mastermind.

RhysL - 03 March 2015 12:49 PM

your a bloody cinegraphic mastermind.

*You’re smirk

ur totes on it bud

Bitch I’m famous.

Did you not get any shots of that long rail we all backboarded on?

Yeah but it wasn’t great, so I cut the shots. Clearly only the best shots made the final cut.  wink

Let’s go out again and get some better shots.