The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Low Guidos Skate-a-tron 4000 (electric skateboard)

We have thought about it, haha… might happen.

Dont plan on it anytime soon. The ESCs are getting expensive… Two fried on me, and i accidentally blew one up. Once the new one arrives, and LG has finished my dual mount (the one in the pic above). I think ill be leaving mine as is for a while raspberry

yeah its really just sillyness now isnt it.
in my opinion:
1 motor is: enough.
2 motors is: ideal.
4 motors is: just shits and giggles.
I mean 2 motors is more than enough seeing as I have never reached a top speed on that anyway.

although I have thought about toying with the idea of 4 smaller motors to make up maybe just slightly more that the power of 2 big ones but providing the 4 wheel grip.

also keeping in mind that every time you double the motors you also double the cost.
(having said that I can still build a twin motor 3kW board, triple the power for half the price of some of the off the shelf e-boards)

4 would be benificial if we could work out the diff situation, and if it were for an off-road eddition.

I want to look more into this in-wheel-motor dealy. would save a bunch of room.

I think the next project should be a motorised SUP Board.

there is no diff. with one motor per wheel there is nothing to differentiate.
each motor independently drives its own wheel, if one wheel slips no drive is lost to any of the other drive wheels.

hub motors are definitely the future, no belts or brackets no clutter. only problem is that they are still only prototypes at the moment.

LowGuido - 30 March 2015 08:07 AM

there is no diff. with one motor per wheel there is nothing to differentiate.
each motor independently drives its own wheel, if one wheel slips no drive is lost to any of the other drive wheels.

hub motors are definitely the future, no belts or brackets no clutter. only problem is that they are still only prototypes at the moment.

yes, thats what i meant… i was testing you… *cough* raspberry

I did have an idea though. Will discuss at work, if i remember.

4 wheel drive, thats madness haha!!!

These guys liked an instagram pic of mine the other day, its a cross between what you guys are up to and a freeboard. Just as crazy but looks pretty fun too!!

http://www.leiftech.com/

Yeah the leif guys have liked some of my skate-a-tron stuff on instagram. The electric freebord is an awesome idea! I haven’t gotten up the courage to ride a passive one yet.

LowGuido - 09 April 2015 09:20 PM

Actually I’m gonna have to work on this next.

http://gizmodo.com/a-homemade-jet-powered-snowboard-is-maybe-not-the-safes-1696666968

Hahahahaha please, oh please, keep us posted on that! surprised

trentradpants - 09 April 2015 10:20 AM

4 wheel drive, thats madness haha!!!

These guys liked an instagram pic of mine the other day, its a cross between what you guys are up to and a freeboard. Just as crazy but looks pretty fun too!!

http://www.leiftech.com/

Yep, that’s sick. I’ve always wanted a Freebord but never purchased as I don’t live near any decent hills.

I had one (trents) for about 6months to a year and never used the bloody thing haha

rider26 - 10 April 2015 08:58 AM
LowGuido - 09 April 2015 09:20 PM

Actually I’m gonna have to work on this next.

http://gizmodo.com/a-homemade-jet-powered-snowboard-is-maybe-not-the-safes-1696666968

Hahahahaha please, oh please, keep us posted on that! surprised

I did for a moment have a serious look at this. it would be very easy to do.. almost too easy in fact.
the biggest downfall of the whole idea is the battery life. electric jet turbines really chew the juice!
I think the one in the article states 4 mins of full thrust, which probably wouldnt get you very far.

you could always carry more batteries, but then you will start to get weighed down. and while it would probably get you flying on the flats, im not even sure how it would go uphill.

its a cool concept, but im not sure we are there just yet.

Na-na na-na na-na na-na Golf-board!

lol.

This site isnt really helpull on tech specs but itll apparently do 14mph (22kph) is 4wd, and powered by a lithium type battery.
and you look super cool riding it to raspberry

See i’d be to tempted to just play golf on the board. 22kph run up Happy Gilmore style drive! haha.

I’d ride one!

The pink one? OH OHHHHH the board! ;P

Dont get me wrong, i’d def get on one. But i wouldent pay the $6500USD price tag for one.
LG and I could make one for a pittance of that… and it’d be faster raspberry

Speaking of which, I have my dual RWD bracket back from LGs Chop Shop. Currently fitting and tuning the ESCs and building a mould for the carbon fibre case.
Just need to make that, and get some new grub screws for one of the gears, and she’ll be alive and ready for a good run.

...im tempted to put on my motorcycle gear and try top it out… Given the 1wd SaT-4ks can get 36kph on a flat… 50should be acheivable.

Will post some pics this arvo.