The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Nutrition/nutrient Geek Thread

It’s Danish and they make no claims that the cows are pastured rather than grain fed.
Give Westgold a try Miz…you might be surprised.

Will do, LMB!!!!!

A two second google came up with this on Lurpak, and while I’m not sure how true it is, the reply makes sense!!!!!

http://www.livefreefromobesity.co.uk/grassfed-butter/

It reminded me of the first time I was in Hokkaido and I asked the Taxi Driver what farms we were drivin through!!!!! He replied “Cows”, then he said “Cows in side”, I repeated him with a look of surprise on my face, and we all laughed for about 10 minutes after!!!!! LOL

cords - 11 September 2014 08:36 PM

Thanks for the thoughts DRC
With the legumes, we don’t eat them more than once or twice a week. I might make 2 thai curries a week (max) with loads of vegetables, bit of chicken and some lentils in it to make it a bit more filling.
Then another meal or two might have a bean mash or refried beans with it….so I don’t think we’re going too overboard in this department?

No worries shaka How good are Thai curries! I never really ate curry before I switched to this lifestyle now I pretty much make a big one each week. Mae Ploy is the best I’ve found, ingredient list is purely spices and completely compliant, cheap and tasty!

As for your bean intake I"d consider that in moderation so shouldn’t cause too many issues. Have you considered making something like cauliflower rice/mash (I make a big batch each week) or zucchini/sweet potato noodles or simply more veges to pad out your meals? Up’s your intake of veges/nutrients without the potential downsides of legumes.

Cheat day: We certainly don’t go overboard with this, I don’t think either. Certainly not ‘binging’. For example having a bit of milk in my tea as a treat I pretty much only eat green apples (yeah I know I’m weird)...and I can’t really see this ever changing.

Haha I’m coming off one of my biggest ever binges the past couple of days (big wedding and constant breakfasts/lunches) and I’m craving a healthy salad later in the day! Nothing wrong with having the odd piece of fruit and green apples are actually a better choice than their sweeter cousins!

Eating the same few meals over and over: I don’t see this is as a rule, more of a recommendation….and for people like me who get zero enjoyment out of cooking, that is the short answer as to why why why!

That may change over time but good to hear it doesn’t restrict your enjoyment of eating (you should enjoy everything you choose to eat) if you haven’t already got one consider grabbing a slow cooker/pressure cooker. You can cook a variety of tasty meals with very little prep time)

A particular favourite at the moment is turning up to the supermarket 2 hours before they close and getting the bbq chooks 50% off reduced for quick sale and having that and a big salad. 2 chooks for $7 and salad is a delicious dinner (and lunch the next day). Quick, cheap and easy!

Nice one! Just something to be careful of is it’s fairly common that bbq chooks are injected with a sugar/flavour mix

I’ve also been training myself to see meals without meat in them as being legitimate meals. Falafel is a clear winner in that particular change! mmmm felafel and tabouli!

Hah yeah I never thought I’d see the day where I’d eat the odd vege only meal. I still try to include a protein with each meal but try to make it a variety of different sources over the day. A rough meal plan that I picked up in whole 30 days was a palm sized serving of protein, thumb sized serving of fat and the rest of your plate filled with veges.

Anyway I hope that explains a bit more where I’m coming from with it.

Sure does thanks and keep at it!

cords - 12 September 2014 04:52 PM

also would like to hear people’s thoughts on Stevia being used in things?

Not sure about at home but here in Sweden they’ve just brought out ‘Coca Cola Life’ which is sweetened with Stevia. I don’t know much about it though.

Thoughts?

Ok Stevia is a bit tricky. On one hand if you get it in it’s pure leafy form it’s one of the best natural sweeteners. The flip side is the marketing companies have jumped all over it and most forms of “stevia” out there are really a combination of mostly inferior artificial sweetener (which are so chemically laden they can be used as pesticides!!!!) with a small amount of stevia added so they can label it as a healthy natural sweetener teacherboy

I’ve never been a soft drink drinker but I have heard many times if you “have” to have one you’d almost be best off having the full sugar version without the artificial additives. Obviously still a horrible choice though.

So back to stevia/sweeteners. I generally don’t use any in my cooking but if I do need to on the odd occasion I would use either pure stevia, raw unheated honey or often can get away with squeezing half an orange/apple or dried date.

LMB - 12 September 2014 06:17 PM

First batch of sauerkraut done!  drool
As an added bonus it was excellent therapy for my hand for the first full day castless.

Yay! Yeah I consider sauerkraut making as my grip training for the day, quite a workout especially when making big batches! Can’t wait to hear how it turns out! Out of interest what method did you use to cut the cabbage. I generally just use a chefs knife but I know of others who use graters or mandolines.

I hit the Bowral markets in a terribly hungover state yesterday but still managed to lug home a full cabbage so it looks like I’ll be starting a new batch soon as well!

grunge - 12 September 2014 10:21 PM

Wow.. so much info in a short thread!!! It’s so dense with info so I’ll try to keep it short.

I’d like to “address” drc13’s Q’s on 4HB.

Long story short, I had massive gains in ‘12 due to just eating my way in NZ, and not stopping whilst the snowboarding stopped. Started 4HB in Dec, kept it for 6 months and the fat loss was huge, and noticable. I try to incorporate into to may daily diet altho’ not as strict, but recently I just went nuts on carbs in NZ, (I didn’t last year and stuck to mainly meat and veg and it was ok.)

But anyways.. =P

Thanks for taking the time Grunge, sounds like you’ve had some great results! shaka

You probably didn’t know but it’s offset by carbs that you eat from beans. In my head 4HB = beans beans beans beans BEANS.
Oh, did I mention beans? =P

Yeah the legume intake was actually one of my concerns with the diet. Do you traditionally prepare your beans (soaking/sprouting etc) to hopefully reduce some of the Lectin intake? Any chance I could talk you around to veges veges beans veges veges?? I don’t want you ending up with inflammation and leaky gut!

I know but the key word moderation, not everyone can do it. I know I can’t. See my previous NZ trip comment. LOL.

Haha that’s fair and at least you are honest to yourself about it. Hopefully over time of healthy eating your craving/indulgences may naturally subside.

That being said, in his latest book the 4 hour chef, he did say that he was oversimplifying things when he wrote 4HB, which he’s learnt that there are other optimal approaches.

Nice, Another way to potentially think about it is rather than eating simply to avoid hunger think of each meal as a way to get as many healthy nutrients/vitamins/minerals into your system and before you know it you naturally start adding more variety to your plate to achieve this. You are what you eat! LOL

This also means that you have to supplement your meals with certain nutrients on 4HB as your body will be starved of it (which you mentioned.) it’s also in the book.

Sounds like you aren’t going into crazy binge mode which is great. Hopefully it’s just a case of the summary I’d read had just overblown it. On the other selfish hand I’m hoping to pack on 10kg of muscle this week after I binged big time billy

I still think I struggle with the idea of starving my body of nutrients more days than not and trying to make up for it in a day over eating well and getting as close to optimal nutrient intake every day? Having said that there’s still certainly the ability to eat well every day on 4HB and the things it restricts out aren’t going to make or break you they just seemed like an odd place to draw the line.

However, he also knows that to sell books and get people on board, you’d have to “sell” to the lowest common denominator, which is probably what you’re baulking at in principle. In essence I have a low level of detail unless I know there’s something in it for me. Knowing that, I kinda rely on people I trust to tell me what I’d like to know, and I go and research that. And even then most times I barely remember the details, I just remember what I need to do to get to my goal, whatever it is.

Yes you are probably right there. I also need to remember that I’ve come into this in the hope to heal illness and maximise health/performance and was actually upset when I lost a kilo during the whole 30 as weight loss isn’t something I’m after.

Don’t sell yourself short mate by taking on this lifestyle you are probably in the top few percent of the population when it comes down to it (as we really are going against conventional wisdom) I hope one day that all this stuff becomes common knowledge and saturated fats are no longer the enemy and people realise just how backwards industrial seed/vegetable oils, grains and “diet” products are.

I actually had a great moment yesterday when talking to my mate (who is a GP) and he asked me for some references and information on the “paleo” style diet. He also mentioned he had a work colleague who was starting to prescribe the lifestyle to many of his patients rather than the conventional method of filling them up with meds. I was so relieved that word was starting to get around to people who can make a real difference.

Anyways, on to something I’d like to point out (sorry gaiz, I barely just skimmed the other threads, low level of detail, you see,) that if you’re having BP coffee like me, you’d want to make sure that your butter is from NZ.
AFAIK the regulation for NZ is that cows are grass fed, except when there’s a drought. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I used to get Zeagold, but switched to Woolies home brand, as it says that it is made in NZ. =)

We briefly touched on NZ butter but thanks for the input. Westgold is my #1 choice but as you mentioned woolies home brand is a great backup option!

mmmmm butter

drc13 - 14 September 2014 08:24 AM
LMB - 12 September 2014 06:17 PM

First batch of sauerkraut done!  drool
As an added bonus it was excellent therapy for my hand for the first full day castless.

Yay! Yeah I consider sauerkraut making as my grip training for the day, quite a workout especially when making big batches! Can’t wait to hear how it turns out! Out of interest what method did you use to cut the cabbage. I generally just use a chefs knife but I know of others who use graters or mandolines.

I hit the Bowral markets in a terribly hungover state yesterday but still managed to lug home a full cabbage so it looks like I’ll be starting a new batch soon as well!

Hand sliced with my Santoku knife (not the brand pictured)

Was easier/quicker than using a mandolin I think…

LMB - 14 September 2014 10:51 AM

Yeah I’m not too keen on ever using my mandoline always fear for my fingers. Did you just quarter/eighth the cabbage first? I’ve done it quite a number of times but always interested in improving my efficiency as it can be a pain when dealing with a couple of big cabbages.

Would have been funny if that had have been your knife as that looks very similar to my J.A.Henkels Santoku knife! smile

drc13 - 14 September 2014 10:54 AM

Yeah I’m not too keen on ever using my mandoline always fear for my fingers. Did you just quarter/eighth the cabbage first? I’ve done it quite a number of times but always interested in improving my efficiency as it can be a pain when dealing with a couple of big cabbages.

Would have been funny if that had have been your knife as that looks very similar to my J.A.Henkels Santoku knife! smile

I picked that picture because it looked like it.  I think mines just a Wiltshire…but it’s effective.

I will use the mandolin if I have to slice a LOT of cucumber/tomato (like for sport BBQ function) but if it’s just family quantities a knife is fine for me.  I suppose I started with about 1/4 of a cabbage…just cut a chunk off and went from there.  The brew is bubbling away, has had a little overflow ... It’s stored in my garage at the moment as hubby said he’s stoked for me to make it, he will gladly eat it but if he smells it in the house during brewing it’s going in the bin wink

LMB - 15 September 2014 12:11 AM

I picked that picture because it looked like it.  I think mines just a Wiltshire…but it’s effective.

I will use the mandolin if I have to slice a LOT of cucumber/tomato (like for sport BBQ function) but if it’s just family quantities a knife is fine for me.  I suppose I started with about 1/4 of a cabbage…just cut a chunk off and went from there.  The brew is bubbling away, has had a little overflow ... It’s stored in my garage at the moment as hubby said he’s stoked for me to make it, he will gladly eat it but if he smells it in the house during brewing it’s going in the bin wink

My knife block needs a good sharpening but I’ve been happy with the Henkels!

My mandolin stays stored deep in a cupboard as I use my food processors cutting disc when I do my weekly food prep (lots of carrots/cucumbers etc)

Haha glad to hear you’ve had some overflow. Despite it being annoying to begin with (especially if you didn’t have a bowl of towel under it, it means the magic is happening. I tend to find it doesn’t smell much if at all but maybe I’m immune to it. Funnily enough last time I started cooking a bone broth in the pressure cooker then headed out for a walk. Upon getting back I could smell the broth from a couple of flights of stairs down but fortunately being only chicken it wasn’t a bad smell!

drc13 - 14 September 2014 10:54 AM

I always wondered about that knife of ours… I just learned something! Thanks!  grin

Best thing I ever bought was a set of Globals!!!!!

And a Ceramic Water Sharpener to keep them honed without drama!!!!!

My go to cabbage blade!!!!!

drc13 - 15 September 2014 11:48 AM
LMB - 15 September 2014 12:11 AM

My knife block needs a good sharpening but I’ve been happy with the Henkels!

My mandolin stays stored deep in a cupboard as I use my food processors cutting disc when I do my weekly food prep (lots of carrots/cucumbers etc)

Haha glad to hear you’ve had some overflow. Despite it being annoying to begin with (especially if you didn’t have a bowl of towel under it, it means the magic is happening. I tend to find it doesn’t smell much if at all but maybe I’m immune to it. Funnily enough last time I started cooking a bone broth in the pressure cooker then headed out for a walk. Upon getting back I could smell the broth from a couple of flights of stairs down but fortunately being only chicken it wasn’t a bad smell!

I like the broth smell but my boys hate it.

Hubby said today ‘peeeeeuuuuuuuu! That sauerkraut stinks, so glad I made you put it in the garage’...I could barely smell it and the scent was pleasant to me!  He’s not gonna like the Kombucha is he?! snake

I bought a Kombucha crock, starter and scoby today from a lovely lady a suburb away from me.  She ferments everything!  Was showing me all her concoctions, and she had these awesome jars with a one way valve that stops bubbling over spillage!

Hmmm….might need some more shopping…

Mizu Kuma - 15 September 2014 08:13 PM

Best thing I ever bought was a set of Globals!!!!!

My parents have globals and are also really happy with them!

LMB - 15 September 2014 08:20 PM

I like the broth smell but my boys hate it.
Hubby said today ‘peeeeeuuuuuuuu! That sauerkraut stinks, so glad I made you put it in the garage’...I could barely smell it and the scent was pleasant to me!  He’s not gonna like the Kombucha is he?! snake
I bought a Kombucha crock, starter and scoby today from a lovely lady a suburb away from me.  She ferments everything!  Was showing me all her concoctions, and she had these awesome jars with a one way valve that stops bubbling over spillage!
Hmmm….might need some more shopping…

Yeah I’ve heard bone broth smell can be polarising. I had a bad start back in the day as it was the first time I’d used my pressure cooker and released the valve a bit quickly and ended up with a fountain of bone broth that the bellagio would be jealous of! My apartment smelt like broth for a few days oh oh But now I have no problems with the smell just smells like cooking to me!

Haha he has a sensitive nose! The kombucha shouldn’t worry him as it doesn’t have much of a smell. If anything it’s a vinegar smell.

Yeah I’ve looked into the pickle-it jars, Some people love them some think they are a terrible waste of money. I’ve never found the need for them but have considered purchasing a big fermenting crock so I can do bigger batches but storage would be an issue.

Busy night of prepping/cooking for me.

Converted my whole cabbage I bought at the bowral markets into Sauerkraut (my hands are shattered!)

Pulled out the Mae Ploy Yellow Curry paste and knocked up a not so traditional combo of Thai Yellow Curry, loads of veges, cauliflower rice with Lamb Shanks!

LMB - 13 September 2014 07:44 PM

But I’ve got another question…few recipes I’ve seen say four days then it’s ready…is it better to be weeks?

Nearly forgot about this but this is why I recommend fermenting for at least 3 weeks

https://www.foodpreservationmethods.com/sauerkraut-kimchi-pickles-relishes/sauerkraut/fermentation
http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2012/05/15/the-science-behind-sauerkraut-fermentation/