The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Tips for riding with a broken distal radius.

Ok…so I know I’m nuts nutjob

But I’ll be 3 weeks post break (Hotham-acquired) when I get to Thredbo on Friday morning.
I’ve got 1 full day and two half to 3/4 days.
Then I’m back to Perth, no more snowboarding until late December.
So I am going to ride.
I’ll probably be super cautious and over protective of my arm (left/lead arm) which I also know is probably the worst thing!
shock

So I’m looking for some reassurance that I’m not the only nut in this snack bowl.
Have you ridden with your arm in a cast?
What worked, what didn’t..?

I guess I should be volunteering for camera duty, not riding in the park myself on the Saturday (BoardABC)...  ollie

So a few years back in NZ I broke my radius. on the slopes on my 3rd of 7 days riding.

basically after that I was riding on painkillers with my arm in a cast, and I had a sling.
you should be fine, just take it easy.
the only problem I had was strapping in to my bindings, which was difficult (my right wrist was the broken one) so I had to reach across my body to strap in using my left arm.
the other problem was getting in and out of boots, which I couldn’t do by myself I needed my bro to help.

but yea just take it easy if you are going to take a fall on an arm land on the one which is already broken, 2 broken arms wouldn’t be very fun now would it…
just keep it mellow and you’ll be fine… so yea I agree you are the camera man not the stuntman in the park.

Wise man^^^

teacherboy
The image of my hubby’s face if I came home with the other arm broken!
Priceless!
LOL

Cheers!
I appreciate the encouragement.
Boots should be ok, the speed laces will make things easier - laces would be a disaster.
Will only have to reach across body for bindings occasionally as it’s the lead leg side arm that’s busted.
I’ve had 3 weeks of healing so might even be able to crank the ratchets with the broken one, every day I’ve been able to do more stuff, but it’s still pretty dodgy, and hurts when I push it.

I’ve got a thermoplastic splint so no drama about plaster getting wet.

Did you use any tbars while broken?
That is the bit worrying me the most.

LMB - 26 August 2014 04:57 PM

Did you use any tbars while broken?
That is the bit worrying me the most.

ohhhhh good point!

But on the weekend I was grabbing onto the person i was sharing with (pretty sure you will struggle to ride on your own.)

Ask to be little spoon!

I was more holding on with my rear arm than front and I am a noob!

Tbars may be more difficult, I was at the remarkables so there was only chair lifts. so long as you are confident that should be fine, I mean I ride Tbars with 1 hand or no hands fairly often just for some fun or if I’m texting so I can meet up with people. just keep it straight and hold on with your good arm if you need to.

LOL
Confident and t bars in the same sentence.

I think its psychological, but when my back foot is out all confidence is lost.
I get huge bruises on my inner thigh from those things, so tend to pull on the bar with my left arm to take the pressure off, might just have to suck it up, let it pull me up by the leg and bruise.  Or I suppose be little spoon and hang on to/push back on the point of the tee with my right hand.

Either that or ride up switch.
Never done that before though!

yea seems like you might just have to suck it up. if you ride up switch you might want to get a large stomp pad or have one there for your foot, I’ve done a chairlift switch and boy do you miss having grip under your free foot.
I’m sure you’ll work it all out though, you can experiment a bit and find whatever method is the most comfortable.

iamaperson - 26 August 2014 05:40 PM

yea seems like you might just have to suck it up. if you ride up switch you might want to get a large stomp pad or have one there for your foot, I’ve done a chairlift switch and boy do you miss having grip under your free foot.
I’m sure you’ll work it all out though, you can experiment a bit and find whatever method is the most comfortable.

Oh!!! I know that nightmare!!!
I was on a hired demo board at Hotham few weeks back (yeah, when I broke my arm) NO stomp pad and a super slippery top sheet - holy crap, the combo of that, and fixed grip lifts with good sized unload ramps AND obstacles to avoid (hellooooopeople, getoutofthefeckingway!!!) meant I landed on my ample arse more times that trip than I have in my entire snowboarding life!!
Maybe. I won’t be riding up switch wink

LMB - 26 August 2014 05:27 PM

LOL

I get huge bruises on my inner thigh from those things, so tend to pull on the bar with my left arm to take the pressure off, might just have to suck it up, let it pull me up by the leg and bruise.

I found this past weekend that riding with a skier took that pressure off.  Particularly a taller skier (and male but I am not sure if the sex mattered… yeah yeah get your minds out of the gutters people!)

LMB - 26 August 2014 05:46 PM
iamaperson - 26 August 2014 05:40 PM

Oh!!! I know that nightmare!!!
I was on a hired demo board at Hotham few weeks back (yeah, when I broke my arm) NO stomp pad and a super slippery top sheet - holy crap, the combo of that, and fixed grip lifts with good sized unload ramps AND obstacles to avoid (hellooooopeople, getoutofthefeckingway!!!) meant I landed on my ample arse more times that trip than I have in my entire snowboarding life!!
Maybe. I won’t be riding up switch wink

Rub a bit of wax on the top sheet, and try jammin ya boot up hard against the back binding!!!!!

I don’t even worry about puttin stomp pads on unless I win a free one that looks cool!!!!! Hahahaaa!!!!!

As for tips about ridin with a broken arm?????

Get a new toilet like mine, just incase ya break the other one????? shaka

I rode with a fractured wrist for 4 of the 6 weeks in a cast last season and all turned out fine. Its not at all bad so long as you ride within your ability imo. And the others have covered the issues you might have. Im sure youll have a blast regardless thumbsup

Mizu Kuma - 26 August 2014 11:19 PM

As for tips about ridin with a broken arm?????

Get a new toilet like mine, just incase ya break the other one????? shaka

LOL

You’re a funny bugger Miz!

LMB - 27 August 2014 12:08 AM

You’re a funny bugger Miz!

Only on some forums, LMB!!!!!  wink

Thanks for the tips and encouragement Snow Lovers.

A successful weekend with no further injuries.
I definitely moderated my riding and after one successful tbar ride up a track that resembled a boardercross experience I decided it was too risky to repeat so park was out, chairlifts and lapping the pistes was in.

Thermoplastic cast was a win, highly recommend for others in similar situations.
But because it was HOT and I was riding in a tshirt Saturday and Sunday the purple cast was visible…and I got some very funny looks - had to laugh.