The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Fitness tracker bands

h0z - 13 May 2014 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info! I will give it a try smile

shaka

It’ll work. I’ve done it with my fitbit flex.

Plus the flex’s bands do tend to tear after a few months and I think it’s a known defect as they keep replacing it and I’m on my 4th one so far asking for a 5th replacement.

I’ve had the fitbit one (lost that) and a fit bit flex for over a year but have recently switched to the Microsoft band.  Heart rate monitor, guided workouts, sleep monitor, uv sensor….this thing pretty much does it all.  I find if your plugging your food into the system, watching how much exercise your doing its a motivational thing least for a IT geek smile

Does anyone use use a smart watch for this sort of stuff?
Have been considering one for a while, as it’d be more usefull than jsut a fitness tracker… but they still seem a bit flakey atm.

DigitalReaver - 13 January 2015 06:28 PM

I’ve had the fitbit one (lost that) and a fit bit flex for over a year but have recently switched to the Microsoft band.  Heart rate monitor, guided workouts, sleep monitor, uv sensor….this thing pretty much does it all.  I find if your plugging your food into the system, watching how much exercise your doing its a motivational thing least for a IT geek smile

Omg maz and I was one of these!!!  I want it for fitness aaaand for the phone control!!  Reading/replying to texts and changing songs while at the snow/bike riding etc!! 

I’m assuming its awesome?!?

h0z - 25 February 2015 07:50 PM
DigitalReaver - 13 January 2015 06:28 PM

Omg maz and I was one of these!!!  I want it for fitness aaaand for the phone control!!  Reading/replying to texts and changing songs while at the snow/bike riding etc!! 

I’m assuming its awesome?!?

^+1

Watched a few reviews, seems pretty boss. $199 is a little steep, but it does a fair bit more than the others.

$199USD…

Last I heard it was going to be $279AUD. :( 

But that’s about average for a “smart watch” with phone controlling ability..  So if it was decent… I’d buy it.

h0z - 26 February 2015 04:21 PM

$199USD…

Last I heard it was going to be $279AUD. :( 

But that’s about average for a “smart watch” with phone controlling ability..  So if it was decent… I’d buy it.

Yeah i noticed that after i posted.

The only ones i can find are on eBay and are $500ish
Pretty sure i can wait till the au dollar gets a bit stronger and buy it from the us.
At the moment it’d be about 250, cant see postage being to much. so 280 sounds about right.\

Resurrection of an old thread.

I’d previously had Suunto watches w/HR monitor bands.  Three of them over about 10 years.  Then a pebble (mainly for the text messages on my wrist!) - it died about 6 months in.

But now I’ve got a Fitbit Charge.
I’m sold!
The ridiculous amount of stats you can easily access has me in control freak heaven.

I was exercising regularly before.  I didn’t think much would change, but the competitiveness between PB and I (and now a mate and one son are in too) has meant I’ve probably doubled my steps for the week.  A down day would now be 9k steps (damn it) but a good day will be 20k +  I no longer ‘go to the gym’, I walk to the gym.

The big surprise for me was my Resting HR.  It started at 73.  Which for my age is considered above average.  I was happy with that.  But fast forward after changing things up and it’s now 59!!!  I guess, even when you think you’re doing ok, there’s room to do better.

Sorry for the ignorance - I have no idea how these things work…do you wear a Heart Rate strap around your chest when you use these things exercising?

cords - 02 June 2016 08:12 PM

Sorry for the ignorance - I have no idea how these things work…do you wear a Heart Rate strap around your chest when you use these things exercising?

Hey Cords,
No problem.
I used to use the HR monitor straps with the Suunto watches, but they were uncomfortable, annoying and sometimes lost signal.
The current Fitbit reads your HR from your wrist.  Little green flashy lights on the back of the band.
It is surprisingly accurate!
And surprisingly reliable.  So easy to use.

I just purchased a Fitbit Charge HR. I’m looking forward to using it. Will let you know how it goes.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 225 to track all my fitness activities. I used to do a lot of Trail Running and clocked up a fair few kilometers at a time.

The built-in GPS and heart-rate monitor work really well, and both were very accurate. The Android/iOS app “Garmin Connect” was pretty easy to pair with my watch over bluetooth and the stats and geographical representation of my runs were more than enough to satisfy my love for data.

This watch doesn’t track your sleep though, so this could be a killer for some.

Over time the battery life has taken a bit of a hit though after several software updates…That being said, I still manage to squeeze 5-6 days of battery life out of it when I’m not using the GSP/timer functions.

Fitbit Charge 3. MSRP: $149.99. ...
Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music. MSRP: $299.99. ...
Apple Watch Series 5. MSRP: $399.00. ...
Fitbit Inspire HR. MSRP: $99.95. ...
Fitbit Versa 2. MSRP: $199.95.

Yes Fitness tracker bands is good to monitor our fitness level

agree, it is such a useful device
I bought with a tablet cause of sale moment https://www.rabato.com/au/godfreys and I’m happy for my decision