The Line Up - Daily Chat :)

geniass - 10 September 2017 05:23 PM

That sounds like a pretty rad trip cords!

Sounds like you have a pretty rough time with your neck - how are you going now? That’s a bummer you didn’t get to break in the new hovercraft but sounds like you made the right decision. Where are you headed in Japan in ‘18?

If you happen to end up at Perisher next week and want to say hi and hit a few laps I’ll be down with a few others.

Yeah our trip was amazing. Sooooo good. Sweden is a second home so always a good time, Norway (especially the north) is probably my favourite place on earth (surfing in the arctic under the midnight sun, anyone?) and Iceland definitely didn’t disappoint - just as good, if not better than all the rave reviews you hear.
It was my first time in India and as TJ alluded to, I was helping run a football tournament for women who normally don’t access to anything like that…It was an incredible experience and I met lots of rad people so I feel very lucky!

The neck is going ok…I consulted with a couple of neurosurgeons about surgery but neither of them recommended it or thought it necessary…they said basically just to take it easy for a few months and that it should come good on its own, which it has appeared to. I played football (Soccer) for the first part of the season but had to try and not head the ball (was able to stop myself 95% of the time). I still have some light pins and needles in my right forefinger and thumb but apparetly that can hang around for ages.

For Japan - we were going to just do Hokkaido but now we’ve got a couple of different sets of friends going to be in Hakuba, Myoko and Nozawa so we might try and do 4-6 days there in the start of the trip before heading north…then we’ll be in Furano for 4-6 nights and then hire a car and do some more exploring!..then we’ll round the trip out by checking out Osaka/Kyoto for a few days before we leave (we did Tokyo last time!) You going, too @geniass ??

Also, I just noticed that my ‘haven’t been here in a while’ post was actually my 5000th post! haha

cords - 11 September 2017 02:27 PM

Yeah our trip was amazing. Sooooo good. Sweden is a second home so always a good time, Norway (especially the north) is probably my favourite place on earth (surfing in the arctic under the midnight sun, anyone?) and Iceland definitely didn’t disappoint - just as good, if not better than all the rave reviews you hear.
It was my first time in India and as TJ alluded to, I was helping run a football tournament for women who normally don’t access to anything like that…It was an incredible experience and I met lots of rad people so I feel very lucky!

The neck is going ok…I consulted with a couple of neurosurgeons about surgery but neither of them recommended it or thought it necessary…they said basically just to take it easy for a few months and that it should come good on its own, which it has appeared to. I played football (Soccer) for the first part of the season but had to try and not head the ball (was able to stop myself 95% of the time). I still have some light pins and needles in my right forefinger and thumb but apparetly that can hang around for ages.

For Japan - we were going to just do Hokkaido but now we’ve got a couple of different sets of friends going to be in Hakuba, Myoko and Nozawa so we might try and do 4-6 days there in the start of the trip before heading north…then we’ll be in Furano for 4-6 nights and then hire a car and do some more exploring!..then we’ll round the trip out by checking out Osaka/Kyoto for a few days before we leave (we did Tokyo last time!) You going, too @geniass ??

Also, I just noticed that my ‘haven’t been here in a while’ post was actually my 5000th post! haha

Wow cords what you were getting up to in India sounds really epic! The world needs more people like you getting out there and doing stuff like that! Good to hear the neck is going ok - not a body part you really want to take chances with.

Yeah my husband and I are heading back to Japan for the 3rd season in a row. First trip we did Myoko and were supposed to hit Niseko but I injured myself and we had to head home early. 2nd trip we did Niseko first and then back to Myoko. This time we are basing out of Niseko and hitting whichever resorts look the best in that area (part of the Niseko Freeride tour with Mint Tours - have ridden with those guys a few times and they just make for a super easy trip - and super focused on the best pow. Plus you meet a bunch of cool new people on tour.) We’ll be there from about Jan 30 to Feb 10 -  a few days before the tour starts by ourselves and then a few days in Sapporo at the end to catch the Ice Festival (which I’m super pumped about!)

5000 posts?!?! Wow!

cords - 11 September 2017 01:28 PM
TJswish - 09 September 2017 09:05 AM

Sounds like a good time @cords. The post about teaching soccer overseas was awesome.

You’ll be happy to know that I’m finally going to use my English passport. Had to get in before Brexit screws me :(

I am happy to hear that! What are the plans for after Falls?

Not posted on Facebook yet but back to Sydney for 6 weeks then flying to London then to Lyon to work at Paradiski as a transfer driver and bartender / bar assistant.

If you don’t know anything about Paradiski, it has 150 lifts, 425km of groomers and 3 separate ski areas including a glacier. I’ll be working Mid December till March and have the option to stay a bit later with enough work to pay rent if I want.

Will post more later but that’s the basics.

@cords careful with the neck mate. I did the same thing really bad snowboarding back in 2000 then blew it again 5yrs ago. that time it kept me out of the surf for 4yrs as its a few discs that are now stuffed. I know the pain its excruciating. ive done some damage lower back now similar pain missed a paid week at perisher 2 weeks ago but just did 5 days and it held up so hopefully ill be good for my hakuba/myoko trip in feb. try some acupuncture and traction, that helps a lot. don’t go near the surgeons!! it will heal in time but it takes quite a while. I had pins and needles down arm into fingers on and off for a couple of years.

geniass - 11 September 2017 05:22 PM

Wow cords what you were getting up to in India sounds really epic! The world needs more people like you getting out there and doing stuff like that! Good to hear the neck is going ok - not a body part you really want to take chances with.

Yeah my husband and I are heading back to Japan for the 3rd season in a row. First trip we did Myoko and were supposed to hit Niseko but I injured myself and we had to head home early. 2nd trip we did Niseko first and then back to Myoko. This time we are basing out of Niseko and hitting whichever resorts look the best in that area (part of the Niseko Freeride tour with Mint Tours - have ridden with those guys a few times and they just make for a super easy trip - and super focused on the best pow. Plus you meet a bunch of cool new people on tour.) We’ll be there from about Jan 30 to Feb 10 -  a few days before the tour starts by ourselves and then a few days in Sapporo at the end to catch the Ice Festival (which I’m super pumped about!)

5000 posts?!?! Wow!

Yeah I just saw a fb post asking for people to apply for coaching positions for the festival and the German football-for-good organisation (Discover Football - made up entirely of volunteer women) would pay for flights and accommo etc…The women who gave up their time to organise it were the real heroes!

Cool about your trip. Too many aussies in Niseko for our liking so I doubt we’ll go back…and the snow is just as good elsewhere in Hokkaido. I can see why others go back, though. What injury did you get that meant you ended up having to come home the first time you went?

Considering I’ve been here since a few days after the site started in 2009, five thou isn’t that many! TJ is nearly double my count! haha

TJswish - 11 September 2017 07:37 PM

Not posted on Facebook yet but back to Sydney for 6 weeks then flying to London then to Lyon to work at Paradiski as a transfer driver and bartender / bar assistant.

If you don’t know anything about Paradiski, it has 150 lifts, 425km of groomers and 3 separate ski areas including a glacier. I’ll be working Mid December till March and have the option to stay a bit later with enough work to pay rent if I want.

Sounds pretty damn sweet to me! Nice work! Do they have any kind of summer season there with mountain biking etc?

cords - 13 September 2017 03:00 PM
TJswish - 11 September 2017 07:37 PM

Sounds pretty damn sweet to me! Nice work! Do they have any kind of summer season there with mountain biking etc?

They do but it’s very likely I come back to Aus to work at Falls Creek again. I do really like it here smile

cords - 13 September 2017 02:56 PM

Yeah I just saw a fb post asking for people to apply for coaching positions for the festival and the German football-for-good organisation (Discover Football - made up entirely of volunteer women) would pay for flights and accommo etc…The women who gave up their time to organise it were the real heroes!

Cool about your trip. Too many aussies in Niseko for our liking so I doubt we’ll go back…and the snow is just as good elsewhere in Hokkaido. I can see why others go back, though. What injury did you get that meant you ended up having to come home the first time you went?

Considering I’ve been here since a few days after the site started in 2009, five thou isn’t that many! TJ is nearly double my count! haha

That’s cool! Yeah I guess it really is the people who do all the background work for those types of things that are the real heroes -  there would be so much to do and so much that would come up that you just don’t expect that would make it really challenging. Still very cool that you were involved.

You’re right about Niseko and the Aussies. This will probs be the last time we stay there - but it is good for a launching pad for the other resorts in the area. We are also doing a bit of a shorter trip and were keen to stay in one location but have access to options.

I ended up cartwheeling on a groomer (the day after the most epic of pow days!) and separated my left shoulder and blew the ACL in my right knee - with some minor MCL damage as well. It was quite the experience going to a Japanese hospital - what with the lack of painkillers and language barrier. They told me there it was a ‘dislocated’ shoulder but it couldn’t be put back in and a ‘sprained knee’ - which once back in Aus and had proper scans with English speaking Drs and was told the above it made more sense. Anyway - I knew over there I couldn’t ride any more - but we ended up spending about 4 more days post the incident before we flew home (2 in Myoko and 2 in Tokyo). I actually did a TONNE of walking - snow monkeys in Nozawa and all around Tokyo - which turns out was kind of impressive given the scale of my injuries.  smile

Anyway - I’m 100% now post surgery and dedicated rehab and it sure hasn’t put me off going back to Japan!

Hope you are going to get a day or two on snow before the end of the season!