The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

Hey guys,

My name is Matt and this is my first post.

Looking to do a season in Whistler next season (15-16) currently working on the second stage of the Visa Application, MYCIC.

I’m half way through completing application for work permit (IMM 1295) and I am up to the section ‘Details of Intended Work in Canada. I’m currently planning on hitting up the job fairs but don’t really know what job at this point in time. Can I Leave the majority of this section blank or should i just try fill out as much as possible such as ‘Intended location of employment in Canada’ and stuff?

Thanks guys!

Welcome to Boardworld, Matt! shaka

Hopefully we’ll see you in Whistler next season! I would also encourage you to join this Facebook group I recently created: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardworldwhistler (apply to join and I will approve you).

I would try to fill in whatever you can honestly. It shows you have a plan which is probably a good thing.

Maybe put something like: “My intention is to work for Whistler Blackcomb during the 2015/20126 winter season,” or something along those lines.

You have a plan by the sound of it, so try to convey as much of it as possible in the application. I can only assume this would help your cause.

Best of luck. Let us know how you go. Don’t forget to introduce yourself in Boardworld Social. Hit us up if you have any more questions about Whistler. wink

james88 - 20 March 2015 10:40 PM

*Another visa question*

With the police checks I was hoping to confirm with you guys - I’m a NSW resident and have read a few conflicting things about whether I apply for an AFP check or one through NSW criminal records check, can anyone confirm which one?

Thanks!

When I did mine I got an AFP check and had no problems at all
I’m a VIC resident though so there may be different rules for each state, but I doubt it!

I got the AFP one (NSW resident) when i did my application.

Yep it needs to be AFP. The VIC police isn’t accepted but the NSW police is quite often let through. Not 100% sure why lol

Another question when applying for the work permit. It ask to provide an Itinerary,Travel Plan.
‘You must provide a copy of your flight ticket or booking, if available, and/or itinerary of your visit (proposed route of your journey.’

At the moment, I haven’t booked my flight so that’s out of the question. With regards to my itinerary, I don’t really have much planned besides land in Vancouver mid October, drive up to whistler for the job fair and work Dec to May at Whistler. The only thing I’ve really ‘booked’ is my accommodation in Whistler.

So my question is Do I just put what i wrote above in a word document and attach that?

Thanks!

rider26 - 21 March 2015 05:21 AM

Welcome to Boardworld, Matt! shaka

Hopefully we’ll see you in Whistler next season! I would also encourage you to join this Facebook group I recently created: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boardworldwhistler (apply to join and I will approve you).

I would try to fill in whatever you can honestly. It shows you have a plan which is probably a good thing.

Maybe put something like: “My intention is to work for Whistler Blackcomb during the 2015/20126 winter season,” or something along those lines.

You have a plan by the sound of it, so try to convey as much of it as possible in the application. I can only assume this would help your cause.

Best of luck. Let us know how you go. Don’t forget to introduce yourself in Boardworld Social. Hit us up if you have any more questions about Whistler. wink

On a side note, I’ve joined the group on Facebook, Jeremy!

Yeah, I would just type out your own itinerary. You know what you will be doing and the approximate dates, so convey that in the application.

Thanks for joining the Facebook group! thumbsup

rider26 - 24 March 2015 05:20 AM

Yeah, I would just type out your own itinerary. You know what you will be doing and the approximate dates, so convey that in the application.

Second stage submitted! 6 week wait now!

furorsekka - 25 March 2015 01:48 AM

Could be. I’ve heard stories of 2 weeks or 3 months. Either way, you have been organising early enough to get it all done smile

TJswish - 25 March 2015 06:58 PM
furorsekka - 25 March 2015 01:48 AM

Could be. I’ve heard stories of 2 weeks or 3 months. Either way, you have been organising early enough to get it all done smile

lol TJ, my friend is even more organised, he got his Visa last year. He got it so early now he has to enter the country by mid October this year or his visa will expire. It fits in with our plan though so i guess he hasn’t lost out.

Haha, fair enough, my best advise for travelling with friends is not to live together. Cause you get stuck in a small friendship triangle (or line with 2 people?) and don’t make new friends.

By all means, still be friends… but make sure you go out of your way to have fun!

To me, the snow is all about broadening your friendship group and leaving your comfort zone!

@TJswish @rider26 and anyone else who may want to chime in.

The advice has been fantastic so far. I’ve been in touch with more mountains. Manning offered me the position as lift ops and maintenance. I’m a little concerned cause I was really hoping to be in a more accessible bigger mountain. I’ll keep it in mind. Also the dates probably won’t work out as I’ll only be there for three months. Flight in on 27/11 and out 28/2.
I probably should have mentioned that earlier. Its for uni and it seems to be a sticking point for most jobs not doing the full season.

What are peoples thoughts on finding work in towns for shorter periods? any places you know of that might not be so worried about time frame?

I’ve also been on the Facebook and website pages for share accommodation for a lot of these places. I wanted to ask. Would you guys say that living in town like Kelowna or something and working wherever is a pain if you want to ski Big white because of the distance? I feel like it’d be a good base for when I want to visit the other mountains nearby. I suppose if working at the resort it’s better to live up there?

SO many decisions haha, I’m a little confused. Thanks again

Moving this back to the more recent mega-thread to keep all the up to date info in 1 spot