The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - Information and Advice

I would have guessed that was the case. Thanks for the confirmation, Mitch.

I put my application in for another conditional acceptance letter after withdrawing my old one as it expired. Has anyone else ever had a quota full message?

Your application was received after the current quota for your IEC category was full. IEC will keep your application on the waiting list. Applications on the waiting list will be kept in the order they are received.

I was under the impression that Australia didn’t have a quota but I guess that changed, because I found this on the website.

Working Holiday
Quota: 11,350
Working Holiday places remaining: 669
Updated: 06/10/2014

Looks like I might not be working this season shut eye

I’ve known about the quota. I think it’s been in place for many years now.

I’ve never received the “quota full” message though.

That’s a real bummer. It might be worth contacting the Canadian embassy just to find out how it works etc.

^ yeah from some reason I’m hearing the Canadian immi are tightening up things pretty bad, resulting in delays on processing (the g/f residency app is delayed by 4 month now, and her visa extension rejection took an extra 2 months to come through.)

Plus she’s been hearing thing of ppl being deported back (of course this is no news,) but at a quicker pace than usual.

Apparently this started around Nov last year so maybe something’s going on in immigration.

some changes to the working holiday program I hear. If you have applied before 2015, you can only apply one more time, and if this is your first time, then you only get one go at it. So Aussies can only have ONE working holiday experience in Canada from here on in. So do it right people, get your stuff together!

Applications opened 3 March, quota unlimited at the moment. I did look at this earlier in the year and it did say no places available then.

That’s unfortunate news. I have heard this has been going on across numerous industries in Canada to encourage more Canadian employment, but it’s also having detrimental effects in many industries due to a shortage of skilled workers in certain industries.

Either way, this is significant news for any Australians wanting to spend extended time in Canada. Do we have any confirmation of this as fact?

Are they still offering a two-year work visa or is it going back to one year? When I first came to Canada it was that Australians could only get a one-year work visa once. Then they changed it. Now they’ve changed it back. 

long face

Whaaaaaaat so I can only stay in Canada for two years on my working visa and that’s it? I won’t be able to renew my working visa?!

This is bullshit rage

You already have your visa, so it sounds like you’ll be able to apply for another one.

From there, you need to think about sponsorship or residency — both of which are possible if you take the right steps.

She doesn’t have a Visa yet. Is currently in the process of applying.

yeah the rule is that you have to have applied for it before 2015. if you did then you can have another one. but if you applied post 2015 thats your first and only 2 year visa.

Time to get PR for me!

The conditions of my working holiday visa in the uk changed twice in the two years i lived there…

those applying 2015 onwards don’t stress until you are considering your options in 2 years.. Althoguth have int he back of your mind what steps for PR etc you need to take.

Plus there is this petition which has about 35k signatures and it looks like they are actively trying to push it to the governments.

Link to Petition

Though I know these things rarely go anywhere, it would be an awesome achievement to get anywhere with something like this.

TJswish - 19 March 2015 06:00 PM

Plus there is this petition which has about 35k signatures and it looks like they are actively trying to push it to the governments.

Link to Petition

Though I know these things rarely go anywhere, it would be an awesome achievement to get anywhere with something like this.

For what it’s worth, that’s pretty awesome. Over 50,000 signatures. I just signed.

Yeah, it would be sick for it to go ahead. Would make working holidays a hell of a lot easier!

*Another visa question*

With the police checks I was hoping to confirm with you guys - I’m a NSW resident and have read a few conflicting things about whether I apply for an AFP check or one through NSW criminal records check, can anyone confirm which one?

Thanks!