The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

worst wave names ever.

Righto name the break has inspired me to start a list of worst names.
The Right. Sheesh thats poor
Ours. Thats lame. I had a wave in front of my house at peregian for a joke I called mine. I think ours was a joke to start to but I was 12.
Fluffy Tonka. The pissweak name given to shipsterns by a mag in the beginning of its exploitation.
Jacking horse. 3rd novelty waves down from cloud 9
Quicksilvers. Novelty wave 50 mtres from cloud 9. My mate was appaled and tried to change it to cotton buds to prove a point. It stuck with a few touros who talked about it on there next trip hahaha
Cloud 9 was named after a no melt chocolate bar and they have a sister bar called Chooey Choco. I found a mini cloud 9 up the coast from there so guess what I named it. So im guilty as well. My mates hated the name and would cringe when I mentioned it. Hahaha
Orright what have you?

There’s some very unimaginative ones around my area, Little Avalon, Rockpools, Off Rocks, The Wedge, Crosswaves to name a few.  There is one wave that I have named The Hoax, all my mates know what I’m talking about it but not much more than that.  There’s a wave just up the coast called Buggeries, it’s a pretty damn good wave but as most waves are named for obvious reasons this one has me a little stumped.  Is it cause it’s a bugger to get there, or a bugger when you fall off or was it a favourite haunt for bush walking homosexuals, I have no idea.

Actually one a I consider to be quite shit is Aussie Pipe, really?  Thats the best you can do?

NBG - 08 June 2013 05:21 PM

Actually one a I consider to be quite shit is Aussie Pipe, really?  Thats the best you can do?

Number 2’s is just as bad down ulladulla way… Who comes up with these shit names!

Aussie pipe…yawn.
Coolum has 1st 2nd and 3rd bay. Wow.
Macaronis was apparently named after someone found a bowl of macaroni on the beach so I guess buggeries could be taken from beach action haha. One way to keep the crowds down is sordid tales of sordid tails.

deebs - 08 June 2013 06:15 PM

Aussie pipe…yawn.
Coolum has 1st 2nd and 3rd bay. Wow.
Macaronis was apparently named after someone found a bowl of macaroni on the beach so I guess buggeries could be taken from beach action haha. One way to keep the crowds down is sordid tales of sordid tails.

Well if that was the case the A in A Bay would stand for something somewhat different to Alexandria….........

Actually Hawaii is a bit of a funny one they have some lame names that are just accepted cause of the place the joint has in surfing folklore.  Rockpiles, Rocky Point and Log Cabins are so crap in terms of imagination but then they have some howlers like Alligators, Himalayas, Velzyland and Marijuanas.

A bay also goes by the name Gay bay due to the rock spiders and dune runners. Great spot ruined by suspicious mates when u say ur going there for a surf.
What about Off ThE Wall. The section after back door names after the wall on the beach
. One favorite name was The Machine in Lagundri. Sadly tge wave is gone now. I had a great session there when the point was crowded.

surferguy56 - 08 June 2013 06:09 PM

Number 2’s is just as bad down ulladulla way… Who comes up with these shit names!

I think Number 2s is a good name…Roundabout way of describing how scary that wave is!

You could def do better than number 2. Waves of consequence should be named better.
Its like cyclones. They should have scarier names so when u hear cyclone widowmaker is comin u take it seriously.  And if it produces waves of quality it sounds better talkin shit at the pub. ” nah mate widowmaker was way better than gravedigger”
I cant remember any classic swells by name but this way u would.

There’s a spot we all refer to as “the reef”. It has another name but it’s the kind of place that doesn’t always have sand banks so when it is breaking the locals call it by ‘the reef’ so it reduces the outsiders that might go there.

Even the locals are hesitant to even talk about in public above a whisper. Many a time I’ve had someone come to me on the main street and whisper “the reef is on”. Before word spreads you can get a day or 2 of it being uncrowded.

Aussie Pipe is fairly apt describing the wave shape and reef it breaks on (just not the size) it has a second and third reef just like Pipeline (at least it’s not called Aussie Pipeline). Mini Pipe might have been better.
Many call it Wreck Bay since that’s the name of the town a few 100m from it and it’s the only half good wave there.
Or maybe it should be called “Broken Window” since that’s what your car will have when you get back to it LOL

“Toilet Bowl” is that where they now call “Ours”? haha

On my beach the wave breaks in different places. South End, North End, in the middle. I refer to them as “The Corner”, “Midway” and “Mexico”.
Midway and Mexico I made up with my neighbour but even 10 years later when I mention Mexico the locals know where. When The Corner doesn’t have enough sand it’s referred to by it’s council name “Coledale”. A few of us say “surfed Coledale Beach Australia” because it wasn’t “The Corner”. Years ago it was just called “The Wedge”.

Im pretty sure dunny bowls is a wave at maroubra beach. Sucky draining right hander. Great name.
Daff and his mate named a wave Harpics coz the day they surfed it it was blue as blu and its ridiculously hollow draining the reef.Unfortunately blow ins changed the name to sunrise and it stuck with a few. We still call it Harpics.

dunny bowls at maroubra is called that because the sewage pipe used to pump out right next to it….
pretty sure that is what spaz was referring to….because Dunny Bowls is the only wave that the bra boys can claim as ‘ours’!

spaz - 09 June 2013 10:54 AM

Aussie Pipe is fairly apt describing the wave shape and reef it breaks on (just not the size) it has a second and third reef just like Pipeline (at least it’s not called Aussie Pipeline). Mini Pipe might have been better.
Many call it Wreck Bay since that’s the name of the town a few 100m from it and it’s the only half good wave there.
Or maybe it should be called “Broken Window” since that’s what your car will have when you get back to it LOL

Apart from Aussie Pipe it gets called Blackrock the rest of the time in my circles.

Ah yes! Blackrock, forgot about that.

Dunnybowl at the nth end Maroubra - where the sewerage pipe used to pump raw sewerage. The pipe caused a sand bank. Human faeces used to float around the lineup and be washed onto the beach. Lovely.
Your right cords, thats what I was referring to with the “ours” dig. wink

How good would it be if the council swapped the bras postcode with mincey coogee. Or 90210 like that equally mincey show with Beverly hills postcode. There would be awsome money in tattoo removal.