The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

World Snowboard Day 2012 - Win 1 of 10 Prize Packs!

Mizu Kuma - 10 January 2013 11:40 PM

Snowboarding to me is the BUZZ that ya get when ya know ya about to go for a slide!!!!!

From the moment ya pack ya bags, drive, fly, that first sight of snow, to the time ya strappin in at the bottom of ya first lift!!!!!

At the moment I’m off to Japan for an epic journey, and the mere sight of my bags that I have already packed, just straight up make me feel like a kid again!!!!!

This is what makes life just that much sweeter!!!!!

Good to see your taking some plumbing with you Mizu incase you block the pipes LOL

<font size=“3”>

This is difficult to admit, not only to others, but to myself. I’m currently in an abusive relationship, and have been for a long time.

I’ve endured many years of pain, and as clichéd as it sounds, I feel like I am to blame.

There are days when I just can’t seem to put a foot right. I’m falling over myself trying to get things back on track, but losing it at every turn. Though it’s not all downhill. Just when I think I’ve hit bottom, I’m on my way back up again - and the cycle continues.

It all started so perfectly. The early years were pure bliss and I couldn’t get enough of it. From the very first moment I was hooked, and couldn’t bear to be away from the object of my affection. Time apart was spent dreaming of reuniting, and the attraction was overwhelming.

The physical abuse, however, started almost instantly, and I really do believe I brought a lot of it on myself. I can’t escape the notion that I just wasn’t good enough. At first, getting beaten up on a daily basis was worth enduring because every other aspect of the relationship simply couldn’t have been better.

As torturous as it may have been, I was willing to take it all - dismissing the punishment as the price I paid for such an intense liaison. One good week, one good day, even one brief moment of bliss could erase all the pain. The trying times may have been tough, but the pure ecstasy I felt when things were going well always kept me coming back for more. I was addicted. I still am.

Time passes, and these days I’m far less resilient. I clearly can’t endure what I once could, and my body has paid the price for continual neglect. I always hope for the best, but my blinkered optimism rarely delivers any more. I should know better, but I really want to stick with it, so I find myself falling for the same old lines again and again.

I know others in similar relationships and it all seems so ideal. I’m happy for them, but it kills me that my situation can’t be the same. What is it they possess that I don’t? Perhaps I’m just not as strong as I should be?

I know I should end it, and I have tried, but every attempt to walk away just draws me in further. I’ve spent days, weeks, months trying to escape the spell I’m under, but it’s always the same story. The longing creeps back as my pain subsides, and I’m pulled back in. The faintest sign of light on the horizon and I come running. I guess that’s the nature of love, you take the good with the bad because deep down, you know you’ve got something worth holding on to.

How do I cut myself off from a relationship I’ve invested so much of my life into? You don’t choose love, it chooses you. We can deny our feelings, but rarely can we control them. My passion is as much a part of me as the blood flowing through my veins.

For all the pain and sacrifice, the missed opportunities, the financial and emotional cost, I’m still not certain if given the choice to rewind and start again, I’d do anything differently. Nietzsche once said, “That which does not kill us makes us stronger” - so I guess I’m in it for the long haul.

I’ll quit snowboarding when they carry me away in a box.

</font>

Figured I’d throw up an entry for this as my relationship/addiction is still ongoing.

Where to start, I thought I summed it all up pretty well with my entry last year but since then snowboarding has definitely changed a bit, same with any other relationship, it’ll evolve over time.

Sure enough there are the emotions that it evokes but there’s another side I’ve discovered and thats the mental and physical challenge that it encompasses.

Having finished my last season in Whistler injury free it left me contemplating whether or not I had pushed myself enough. Looking back I could see that I had pushed myself and had definitely seen some progression in my riding, but just how much?

The point at which I realised that there was significant progression was when I rode with Andy off here at the Boardworld shred and went through the piper park with him just doing what I found normal and he commented stating that I was like an all new rider - this was the point at which it was cemented that I had progressed, a great moment for any rider. The following day the inevitable happened an almost trip ending injury. I pushed through the pain on the final days of the shred and made it back out onto the hill and went back into the park and made sure I pushed myself hitting some of the biggest jumps I’d ever hit.

Here is where I get into the whole Physical/Mental thing.. Learning from the mistakes that cause injuries is a key thing when looking at snowboarding from a mental aspect and is one thing that has definitely held me back in the past. Getting straight back out there and doing something again will kill off the doubt in the back of the mind. I’ve found this to a be a key with all sorts of rider progression. But the other key thing is physical training for riding. It’s something that I’ve done in the past to get over injuries but has actually brought me back fitter and stronger than before, thus allowing for better riding straight off the bat.

In doing this I’ve found snowboarding whilst being a key driving point it’s also been a great way of living a happier and healthier life whilst also being beneficial for everyday life.

Working in a ski resort it means that 4 days a week snowboarding is also my main mode of transport for me. It allows me to get to and from work which then allows hundreds of others to get up there and do what it is that they love to do.

This World Snowboard Day I was working on Whistler’s Peak Chair. An office which I think I can safely call one of the greatest in the world with some of the most breathtaking views out there.

I think this was a great way to spend the day as even though I wasn’t riding all day I was helping all those who came through the lift partake in what I’m sure most of us will agree is the greatest sport out there.

Seeing people coming through after conquering new challenging terrain is a great thing to see, not only that but seeing the stoke from the crowd when someone drops a cliff or takes that first line down the main face throwing up giant roostertails is something that cannot be replicated. Sure enough it’s not the most glamourous job in the world but being able to share in people’s experiences is a great thing and its great knowing I’m giving something back to the sport in helping people get out there on a daily basis.

The office…

Beating the demon in the mind..

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 11 January 2013 01:46 AM
Mizu Kuma - 10 January 2013 11:40 PM

Snowboarding to me is the BUZZ that ya get when ya know ya about to go for a slide!!!!!

From the moment ya pack ya bags, drive, fly, that first sight of snow, to the time ya strappin in at the bottom of ya first lift!!!!!

At the moment I’m off to Japan for an epic journey, and the mere sight of my bags that I have already packed, just straight up make me feel like a kid again!!!!!

This is what makes life just that much sweeter!!!!!

Good to see your taking some plumbing with you Mizu incase you block the pipes LOL

Mizu your ment to take your bindings off the board and strap them to your boots! make your bindings literally take no space! also wtf is with the plumbing pole haha

Hahahaaa!!!!!

The bindings that ya can see are on Mrs Mizu’s board!!!!! Mine are off and in there own compartments!!!!!

It’s at the 23KG Limit, and there’s tons of room left for more gear!!!!! Airlines are Bastards!!!!!

The pole is the $11 GoPro Pole that I made a couple of years back!!!!!

i need a new pole, i broke mine in the surf today :(

Felt my need to enter as snowboarding is such a large part of my life that not entering a WSD competition is just not cool.

I started snowboarding a week after my 21st birthday when my mates decided on an ad-lib trip to Thredbo. We knew someone who lived in Cooma so we brought some blow up matresses and we slept on their floor. Suffice to say I wasn’t really good that weekend. I fell down a lot, faceplanted a few times and never got past Merrits. That didn’t mean I wasn’t hooked and couldn’t wait for the next year to go again!!!

In 2009, I moved to the snow and really got into snowboarding. I joined Boardworld (and I’m still here), went from green run rider to anything in Perisher rider and could get over 40ft jumps at one stage. That was a fantastic year as I learnt so much, made some new friends and bought my favourite snowboard. The Forum Scallywag!

These days, I have a season pass ready for 2013 and I’m planning to get to the snow every 2nd or 3rd weekend. I have a good group of people to ride with and can’t wait to start shredding again!

To summarise, I can’t get enough of the snow, snowboarding and I’ll hopefully be bringing as many people as I can to the snow this year! Here are some photos and a video of my trips in the last year.

———————————————————————————————————————

Pirate Day 3 with Loose Alliance at Selwyn

Chillin’ at Snow Park NZ

Happo One in Japan

My trip to NZ with the mates!

This contest is now closed. We will be announcing the winners soon.

Box Head - 11 January 2013 07:02 AM

This contest is now closed. We will be announcing the winners soon.

Made it by 12 mins lol. smile

daniel_m - 28 December 2012 02:32 AM

snowboarding is beer buddies, long drives, creativity and fun. wouldn’t swap it for anything.

Now that’s what it’s all about smile  ollie  rocker

chucky - 11 January 2013 04:11 AM

<font size=“3”>

This is difficult to admit, not only to others, but to myself. I’m currently in an abusive relationship, and have been for a long time.

I’ve endured many years of pain, and as clichéd as it sounds, I feel like I am to blame.

There are days when I just can’t seem to put a foot right. I’m falling over myself trying to get things back on track, but losing it at every turn. Though it’s not all downhill. Just when I think I’ve hit bottom, I’m on my way back up again - and the cycle continues.

It all started so perfectly. The early years were pure bliss and I couldn’t get enough of it. From the very first moment I was hooked, and couldn’t bear to be away from the object of my affection. Time apart was spent dreaming of reuniting, and the attraction was overwhelming.

The physical abuse, however, started almost instantly, and I really do believe I brought a lot of it on myself. I can’t escape the notion that I just wasn’t good enough. At first, getting beaten up on a daily basis was worth enduring because every other aspect of the relationship simply couldn’t have been better.

As torturous as it may have been, I was willing to take it all - dismissing the punishment as the price I paid for such an intense liaison. One good week, one good day, even one brief moment of bliss could erase all the pain. The trying times may have been tough, but the pure ecstasy I felt when things were going well always kept me coming back for more. I was addicted. I still am.

Time passes, and these days I’m far less resilient. I clearly can’t endure what I once could, and my body has paid the price for continual neglect. I always hope for the best, but my blinkered optimism rarely delivers any more. I should know better, but I really want to stick with it, so I find myself falling for the same old lines again and again.

I know others in similar relationships and it all seems so ideal. I’m happy for them, but it kills me that my situation can’t be the same. What is it they possess that I don’t? Perhaps I’m just not as strong as I should be?

I know I should end it, and I have tried, but every attempt to walk away just draws me in further. I’ve spent days, weeks, months trying to escape the spell I’m under, but it’s always the same story. The longing creeps back as my pain subsides, and I’m pulled back in. The faintest sign of light on the horizon and I come running. I guess that’s the nature of love, you take the good with the bad because deep down, you know you’ve got something worth holding on to.

How do I cut myself off from a relationship I’ve invested so much of my life into? You don’t choose love, it chooses you. We can deny our feelings, but rarely can we control them. My passion is as much a part of me as the blood flowing through my veins.

For all the pain and sacrifice, the missed opportunities, the financial and emotional cost, I’m still not certain if given the choice to rewind and start again, I’d do anything differently. Nietzsche once said, “That which does not kill us makes us stronger” - so I guess I’m in it for the long haul.

I’ll quit snowboarding when they carry me away in a box.

</font>

Amen teacherboy

WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Thank you to everyone for entering our “WSD Downunder” contest.

The votes are in and here are the 10 winners:

Koper
FallsCreek01
flez24
joe_butler711
h0z
redfrog
7gg75
chucky
finney
TJswish

Congratulations to the lot of you! shaka

Please email promo(at)boardworld.com.au to claim your prize packs.

Yeww!! Thanks boxxy, jez, bw and all the sponsors!!

and congrats to all the other winners too!! smile

Grats to all ye Winnerers!!!!! shaka

Thanks everyone! Really happy to win, but well done to everyone who entered, all the stories were great!