The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for a new board but worried about sizing.

Hi there

keen to buy a new board this year, living in New Zealand so won’t need to worry about powder but would need something that can handle all mountain stuff and be good in the park. I was looking at the Lib Tech Box Knife but was worried about the sizing seeing that I’m 6’2”, roughly 90kgs and a boot size of us12. I have been riding a Burton Custom for the last few seasons and its been good but looking at something more aggressive. Could I get away with a standard board without getting to much heel and toe drag? And what is the shortest board I could get away with?

Cheers

Hey @Kian, welcome to BW!

Don’t look at it as “standard” and “wide” — but look at the actual waist width in millimetres. I’d probably want to be on at least 256mm with size 12 boots. You can carve wider boards more aggressively.

There are definitely boards on the market that would suit your riding needs and specs.

Is your Burton Custom camber or Flying V? Do you know what camber profile you want? I consider this an important starting point when looking for a new board. Link: Camber profiles

The whole of last season I rode a Ride Helix in Whistler, probably the best board I have ever ridden. Amazing for big features in the park, carves really well due to the asymmetric shape and has an aggressive camber profile. Super lively, light, spins on a dial and has insane pop. Stomping the XL line is a breeze on this thing. Stiff between the bindings then mellows to the tip and tail (once broken in the tip and tail get buttery so you can jib). Really fun to bomb groomers because it’s so stable at high speeds. Plus the 2019 graphic is mint! I’d go for a 157W in your case. Trust me you won’t look back, literally!