The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boot fit over stiffness rating

I have tried many pairs of boots but the one that fits the best is Burton Ion. It is supposed to be rather stiff boot and it felt stiff when trying on in the shop. I am beginner, can link turns and still working on carving and switch. From what I understand soft or medium boots would be a better choice for my level. Can find a well fitting boot for my feet at the moment except the stiff Ion. Do you think as a beginner having a stiff boot will ruin or make my progression harder? Would you prioritise comfort over recommended stiffness rating of a boot for your ability level?

I’d always go for fit and comfort over flex, to a certain extent. The Ions aren’t THAT stiff, and honestly, all boots are going to soften up considerably as you inevitably break them in. I tend to go for stiffer boots as they generally utilise better quality materials and therefore last longer. It also depends on your riding style, how much you weigh, the bindings you’ll be using them with. Overall, I wouldn’t be too worried. You’re going to progress and the boots are going to soften up. They are a good boot and they fit you well…

What’s your intended riding style (all mountain, park)? How much do you weigh? What bindings do you have?

ive got a pair of K2 maysis size 10.5 brand new wore for 2hrs. they say its mid flex I say it pretty stiff! to stiff
for me. worth 580 sell for 300 got the receipt bought on oct long weekend.

rider26 - 08 November 2017 12:13 PM

I’d always go for fit and comfort over flex, to a certain extent. The Ions aren’t THAT stiff, and honestly, all boots are going to soften up considerably as you inevitably break them in. I tend to go for stiffer boots as they generally utilise better quality materials and therefore last longer. It also depends on your riding style, how much you weigh, the bindings you’ll be using them with. Overall, I wouldn’t be too worried. You’re going to progress and the boots are going to soften up. They are a good boot and they fit you well…

What’s your intended riding style (all mountain, park)? How much do you weigh? What bindings do you have?

Thank you for your response. It is still early days for me to define my style I think. Haven’t ventured to park yet. Just getting down the slope, trying to ollie and learning the switch is where I am at the moment. I weight around 85kg. I will be buying board and bindings as well so my options are still opened. Thought I will start building my kit with boots as they seem to be the hardest thing to fit properly. I had a pair of Salomon Launch last season and they were destroying my enjoyment, my foot went into cramp after 2 hours and all I wanted to do was get them off. That is the reason why I am taking my sweet time to find the best possible fit this time around.

I think you should be fine with the Ions, especially if you’ve tried on a variety of boots and they give you the best fit. It might be a good idea to try on some other Burton boots as well if you haven’t already. But if they are still the best fit, I would stick with them. Get them heat moulded and wear them around the house (and flex in them) to break them in a bit. At 85kg, you’ll probably end up appreciating the added support of a stiffer boot.

If the Ions are comfy for your fit, you won’t regret them.  I’m 95kg and have worn a size 12 pair of Ions since Jan last year. As Jez says, get them heat moulded and wear them around the house.  Mine have been rock solid and still have plenty of wear ahead.  Not the cheapest boot but if they fit well, worth every penny.

Thank you all for your input. I got the IONs at the end. Tried them again in the shop and compared again to few others but it just reassured me that they fit the best. Wore them in the house for a few days and took them out on the slope finally. The stiffness did not seem to be an issue and I was so pleased with being able to feel my toes after taking them off after. So yeah, comfort over stiffness rating concern? Comfort any day for me grin

Great to hear, @richsnow. Thanks for the update. Enjoy! ?