The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

When to Move to Whistler and Where to Gear Up?

Hey guys!! This is going to be my first post, so I thought, I’ll just introduce myself here.
My name’s Rico, i’m 19 and going to Whistler as an instructor this season. As many I’m here on a WHV though from Germany wink

As a wb-employee I luckily got staff housing and start training on Nov 13. I’m about to choose my check-in date, my Question 1 is:
From when on is there “life & people” in Whistler, it useful in order to make friends to come early e.g. Nov 1or is it still empty then?
2nd Question is about that I really like skiing too but didn’t bring my gear for that. Is there usually gear left behind from last season? Do the rental shops & demo stations still have good deals in early November?

Already now your board helped me so much with info,
thanks a lot!

Hope to see y’all in Whistler! smile
Rico

Hi Rico,

Whistler is always busy. Yes November isn’t crazy packed but there is still people there to hang out with and meet. There is still things to do etc.

However you probably won’t have a job so make sure you’re ok with spending your money prior to any work. Hence why I’d probably try to arrive more like November 8th to give yourself a few days prior to training but not too long that you’ll go broke or get bored.

In regards to gear, there are a few places on the mountain that sell skis and gear. Sometimes you can get a good deal but other times it can be stupidly overpriced. There is the turkey day sale for Thanksgiving (Thursday, 23 November) but that sale could take place on the Thursday or over the weekend. Generally there are some good deals here but make sure you’re there before it opens to get a good spot.

If you want your gear earlier, there is always the option of shopping in Vancouver. There is a street of shops down over the bridge past the granville markets and while I think they are more snowboard based, I’m sure you can find some skis there.

And if you’re on a budget and just want some 2nd hand skis, hit up Craigslist or Kijiji and find some at a good price point that aren’t too destroyed.

Hey TJ thanks a lot for the long answer and insight!!
I’m definitely going to look at the shops on W 4th Avenue in Vanouver, and go to the Turkey Sale. I know check in on Nov 7th, so I should be good there too.

Thanks! Have an awesome season!
Rico