The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Canada Mega Thread - 2017 /2018 edition

@TJswish  yeah I know you love them after that stitch up at falls. Haha was a great day though

Haha totally man, I was so wrecked after that day!

I have some more good runs in the inventory since then smile

Coops - 07 September 2017 09:13 AM

Yeah not a bad idea TJ.
Hey tammy22 my wife and I land in Vancouver on the 17th of October when are you getting there? We could catch up for a beer if it’s around the same time. We are going to go with Tangerine, fee free and free scotia ATM access.

Also I probably going to use Fast cover as TJ has said they cover pretty much everything, just for your info insurance companies only cover you on groomed runs (so no tree runs) unless they state otherwise.

Hey Coops! I arrive in Vancouver on October 6th and I think I’ll head to Whistler 4-5 days after to try and get my accom and job situation sorted ASAP. I think I’ll be attending the job fair which will be mid-Oct. Definitely would be keen to catch up with you two for a drink - I think I’ll come back down to Van to visit friends anyway. If I sign up for Tangerine (more than likely) I’ll swing a code your way or if you’re doing it soon, send one to me and I’ll sign up using it!

If you’re going to Whistler, just be aware that the only Scotiabank ATMs are at Creekside (correct me if I’m wrong @rider26 )

Probably a bit of a long shot but is anyone here any good at predicting foreign currency rates?

I transferred money from my aus account to my Canadian account today and was pretty bummed out about the current rate so I didn’t transfer the whole lot.

Hey @hohmann,

I can’t say I’m good at predicting ForEx, but CAD and AUD have hovered close to parity for some time now. It fluctuates a few cents here and there, but I feel it’s been fairly consistent. The first few times I went to Canada the AUD was trading terribly, so it’s actually in a decent spot right now when you look at the history. But if you feel it’s down currently, which it kind of is, only transfer what you need and keep an eye on the market.

Who are you using to trade funds? I would highly recommend TransferWise. I used to use XE Trade, which was the best at the time, but you can now get better rates with TransferWise.

If you use this link you can get your first trade up to £500 (approx $823 CAD) for free.

Hi guys and girls,
I’m flying into Vancouver this coming Tuesday, and have an interview organised for the job fair at whistler. Just wondering what attire is generally expected for the interviews at the job fairs, and what percentage of applicants are there per job generally. Also are there many other jobs available around the village, that would be worth handing a resume in to while i’m there?

@matt-000, smart casual is the way to go. Dress nicely but you don’t need to wear a shirt and tie. Shaving helps (unless you have a beard) as they will expect you to be cleanly shaven for work (unless you have a beard). wink

I would go with the job fair first and see how you go before you waste your time handing out resumes and fielding call-backs. I think it’s always best for newcomers to work for the mountain if possible (free pass, discounts, job perks, staff accommodation etc.).

rider26 - 17 October 2017 06:48 AM

@matt-000, smart casual is the way to go. Dress nicely but you don’t need to wear a shirt and tie. Shaving helps (unless you have a beard) as they will expect you to be cleanly shaven for work (unless you have a beard). wink

I would go with the job fair first and see how you go before you waste your time handing out resumes and fielding call-backs. I think it’s always best for newcomers to work for the mountain if possible (free pass, discounts, job perks, staff accommodation etc.).

Cheers!! How quickly do you tend to get a response from job fair interviews?

Opinions!!?

Arrived in whistler with my partner for the season, I’m working for the mountain so have been given staff housing in glacier, she’s got housing with her job at four seasons.

We’ve been trying everything to find a room in a shared house so we don’t have to be apart and sharing rooms with strangers in different places - but obviously given the current situation we’ve had no luck so far.

Finally we’ve been offered a viewing today for a place in emerald. The rent would be $900/month each inc utilities , versus $450 each for staff housing.

What would everyone say is more important…. being together but hardly having any money left to enjoy ourselves. Or being apart and having plenty of spare money? Such a difficult decision!

900 a month is insane. If you earn approx 12 bucks an hour (which is generous…) it will take you 75 hours each month to be able to pay for it. BEFORE TAX so probably more like 80-85 hours…

If you have savings and don’t mind spending a bit, go for emerald.

If you are on a budget, go staffies and just meet up a bunch. If you get along with your roomies, there should be no major issue if she is around a bit. And visa versa with her housemates and you visiting.

Hope you don’t mind sharing a single bed haha.

——————————-

Otherwise, keep looking. There is nothing locking you into staff accom as they would fill it if you leave, how’s her accom? if you can both leave, try the separate accom until something good comes up…

Or just move to a ski hill that isn’t so damn expensive haha.

Whats everyones experience with health insurance and visa entry. For my girlfriend and I, we are looking at either “fast cover” + snow and activities for $3350 for 12 months plus the 2nd year extension, or itrek has good value with their pioneer cover at $1950 then a 6 month extension. Wanting to know what is the best way of going about it all and the odds of still getting 2 years if we do risk it with only taking 12 months cover? we will be coming home for a month in May aswell, so will need one that doesnt void that.

cheers

@TJswish
@rider26

Fly into Vancouver airport and as long as you have some insurance they generally just give you 2 years no questions. But you could always get an asshole so be super nice to them smile

Don’t drive over the border because they’ll follow the book to a tee.