The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Tried surfing in the Philippines?

Any of you here who have tried surfing in the beaches of the Philippines? What was your experience?

yep been twice in the mid-late 90s. surfed siargo island, mostly cloud 9 and the breaks around it.
all reef breaks no beachies. id imagine crowds would be bad there now, as a lot of locals were starting to surf years ago. there were issues with thieves/terrorists back then. we had armed security protecting our camp first trip. Mindanao is south a is where there is a big problem with kidnappings murders etc.
theres waves all round the whole island chain, do some research, and go. peak time is typhoon season which I think about august till nowish. it is hit and miss though. first trip didn’t get over 3 ft in 2.5 weeks second trip didn’t get smaller than 3ft in 3 weeks.

Friends of mine went years ago to Cloud 9 and never got it over 3ft for two weeks.  I’ve never been and there’s a hell of a lot of places on my list to visit and the Phillipines don’t even make that list.  Plenty of les dangerous places with better waves but that’s just me.  Another guy I know lived over there for years and raved about it.  Horses for courses and all that!

if you get cloud 9 on, its a really really good wave. long deep barrels.  gets heavy over
5-6ft though. ive got scars to show for it lol
theres also a right that wraps around an island in the middle of nowhere out to sea. real
high performance wave. surfed it at 3ft and was really fun. got a heap of pics in an album
I could dig up, but I gotta scan em, upload etc. to lazy for that wink

No but I would love to.

MichelleACrompton - 09 November 2016 07:02 PM

No but I would love to.

-

then why not go?? its a beautiful country. pretty cheap. not hordes of aussie bogans like you find in kuta lol