The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yoga and Swimming

So I’m going to start changing up my workout regime this week. Im purely going to swim and do yoga. No gym, no weights, no running, no push ups/pull ups etc.

I think the two will go hand in hand, swimming being a low impact aerobic exercise and yoga will complement that with the flexibility.

Hopefully the combo of the 2 will better my surfing too!

Looking forward to seeing results!

It’s the best combo. Especially if you’re doing Bikram (that’s what you’re doing, yeah?) as there’s a lot of strengthening exercises in the session, especially for the back and core. I found swimming and yoga together helped me more for snowboarding and general wellbeing than anything else I have ever done. I really miss it and I should get back into both when I return to civilisation.

Off to my first class tonight with the GF. I’ve already surfed for 2hrs this morning.

Ill update in the morning and let y’all know how i feel! Wish me luck haha!

Soooo. I managed to get through my first bikram yoga session last night. And yes it absolutely kicked my ass!

I showed up with yoga mat and GF, we were both a little nervous but pumped to get into it. Our teacher was lovely and very welcoming. After handing over paper work and payment we stepped foot in the 38 degree room with water bottles in hand.

FIrst off was a warm up with some deep breathing exercises, this kinda threw me. I found it a little difficult to keep up, bare in mind we found out after the class that it was the hardest of all classes!

We breathed and stretched for the first half of the class, feeling pretty good. By this point i had sweat POURING off me! I’d never been so drenched in my life. During this time something strange happened, i started to feel a little dizzy and i got tingles in my face, torso and hands. I was wrecked, as too was my girlfriend. Feeling anxious to get out, i tried to bail for a few mins but the teacher wouldn’t let anyone leave! I can kinda understand as to why, but I wasn’t feeling 100% at this time. My body was working overtime to cool down, hence the tingles and sweats.. I think? Still researching this one.

I ended up resting for a majority of the second half of the class, but tried to push through a few more poses.

Once class was over i could hardly stand, and due to the tingles/numbing in my face i could hardly talk!! What an extreme yet odd feeling. I’m sure this will get better with due time.

All in all i felt amazing afterwards and can’t wait to go back!

Would highly recommend for anyone looking for something new to try!

I started intro to yoga and it’s too hard for me. Is there an intro to into to yoga?