The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Stretching

As any good athlete will tell you stretching before indulging in any form of physical activity is a must. It prevents cramping, injury, gets the blood flowing and is great for every day fitness.

Ive only just recently added more stretching along with some basic yoga poses into my pre surf warm up and gym sessions. Ive really noticed the difference with flexibility, looseness and feeling a little lighter on my feet.

Ill admit if the surf is pumping or there’s a powder day on offer ill skip the pre warm as ill be way to amped to get amongst it!

What pre warm up do you guys do? What about when you’re travelling?

Would love to hear thoughts!

Stay fit, stay flexible!! wink

I am absolutely terrible at stretching and warming up… I never do it! I have a foam roller that I should start using.

I haven’t been to the gym at all lately, but I did a session a few weeks back starting a new routine. Since I don’t ever warm up, and there isn’t much room at the gym for stretching, I thought what I could do instead of three sets, do four with the first set about quarter/half of the weight as a warm up.

I’m another one who’s rubbish at stretching. I never stretch before soccer, snowboarding or running. I’m sure there are benefits to it but I don’t seem to notice any difference between when I do and when I don’t. I warm up before soccer though but it’s usually just kicking the ball around.

I remember back when I used to dance and play sport when I was younger we always used to warm up, exercise then warm down and stretch last. Is that normal or do we just do it backwards in Melbourne?

Haha glad I saw yoga in there!!!

Massive yoga fan atm!! I used to do it when younger.. Then started again about a year ago… And loving it.. 

There are a few good poses that help with snowboarding..

Downward dog its a good all over stretch, warrior is good for legs and core. And hero pose is good for legs/knees too. Also crescent lunges. Etc.

I love inversions (not necessarily for snowboard. Just in general) so hand stands/ head stands and forearm stands!

But I find it I stretch of a morning I’m not as sore the next day..  smile

surferguy56 - 15 June 2015 06:32 PM

As any good athlete will tell you stretching before indulging in any form of physical activity is a must. It prevents cramping, injury, gets the blood flowing and is great for every day fitness.

It’s my understanding that recent research shows little to no value of stretching before a workout, rather you should warm up before and stretch afterwards.

I’ve had various problems as I’ve got older including sore knees and more recently sore lower back.  The knees were completely resolved with some physio and ongoing stretching/foam roller.  I’m still having physio and EP (Exercise Physiology) for the back and it has improved a lot.  I have a stretching program I do every day, mainly for my back.

From my experience, I believe that latest study, Mud!!!!!

My pre ride warm up now consists of a hot shower and a good walk to the lifts!!!!! (No Shuttles etc!!!!! If possible!!!!!)

Best way to avoid cramps I’ve found, is to drink lots of water or electrolyte replenishment drinks!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 16 June 2015 10:04 AM

My pre ride warm up now consists of a hot shower and a good walk to the lifts!!!!! (No Shuttles etc!!!!! If possible!!!!!)

Best way to avoid cramps I’ve found, is to drink lots of water or electrolyte replenishment drinks!!!!!

Totally agree Mizu. Staying hydrated is key. Water water water! As for the walk to the lift lines, thats also a great warm up, however on a powder day ill get the shuttle wink

I don’t know what’s going on - I wrote two replies and they deleted themselves!

If I don’t do a good 20 mins stretching with a hot shower… I cannot ride.. Legs don’t work and all my old injuries come out to haunt me!

This ^. My stretching is to loosen me up from the previous days riding. And stiffening up while I sleep…  Also to help with my knees…  I’ve been running late and not stretched before.. And I’ve regretted it…  Lasted half a day and was really sore.. :(

Im about to embark next week on my second ever bikram yoga session.. Im sure I’m going to feel it afterwards!!

Kinda excited though! Anyone else done bikram??

I’ve done it off and on for the last few years. I love it. One of the best things I’ve ever done for my body. Highly recommended.

you better do stretching before playing this can avoid you from injuries

saltyseadog - 15 June 2015 06:32 PM

Ive only just recently added more stretching along with some basic yoga poses into my pre surf warm up and gym sessions. Ive really noticed the difference with flexibility, looseness and feeling a little lighter on my feet.

Ill admit if the surf is pumping or there’s a powder day on offer ill skip the pre warm as ill be way to amped to get amongst it!

What pre warm up do you guys do? What about when you’re travelling?

Would love to hear thoughts!

Stay fit, stay flexible!! wink

Couldn’t agree more! Stretching is indeed a must before engaging in any physical activity. I do 5-minute stretching before I go walking and jogging. If I missed walking and jogging, I meditate before I go to sleep. smile It always feels good to sweat it out!

Hi guys, I wish everyone a happy new year! I warm up using a jump rope. After the workout, I do some yoga exercises for stretching, because it improves muscle elasticity and joint mobility helps speed up the recovery process after exertion, and reduces the risk of injury. Stretching also improves blood circulation and I have no muscle pain after physical activity. So I recommend everyone to do stretching after a workout, you will spend 5-10 minutes on it and your body will say thank you! By the way, I wonder if you use weights or dumbbells for training? I want to order such a dumbbell set with rack and don’t know if it is effective, please share your thoughts.