The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How much to delve into the dark world of switch?

Greetings,

I gave snowboarding a go this week at Perisher and loved it, I actually ended up leaving the mountain with an ex-demo setup for future trips. I’m heading back next week for more action.

I’ve been practicing 180s off some of the little natural features around Powder Ridge and am slowly getting the hang of it. My question is, how much does a prospective snowboarder need to learn to ride switch? Do I need to go as far as learning to link turns / carve riding switch? Watching the other boarders on the mountain, the only time they were switch was when they were coming in to a trick, or after landing. They would immediately then just slide back around to their normal stance.

One of the other boarders on the mountain said that when you’re a beginner, that’s the best time to learn switch. Just wondering how much time to devote before I move on to other things!

Cheers

Its only a dark world if you make it! being able to ride switch well is absolutely crucial to progressing on a snowboard.

Watching the other boarders on the mountain, the only time they were switch was when they were coming in to a trick, or after landing. They would immediately then just slide back around to their normal stance.

to progress to your full potential you should be able to do everything you can do reg in switch as well, obviously these ^^ people havent

yep, start riding switch early, you can use it as a tool to force you into thinking about technique, because you will constantly need to remind yourself of what to do. Bend the knees lots, weight positioning over the board, locking the upper body with the boards orientation (not using your torso to turn) etc… It’s a really good thing to learn. I recommend going switch fairly often, when I do laps I’ll just tell myself every 5-10 laps that the next one will be switch, it really livens things up and makes you think about the ride instead of just cruising.
Another thing you can do is play games with friends, basically seeing who will fall first riding off the chairlifts switch, T bars switch etc… (Only do these once you are confident enough otherwise you could get quite bruised, but it’s fun)

Basically I think to be a good rider you should be able to ride switch at the flick of a button (or switch hur hur sorry couldn’t resist)  and be competent doing full runs switch, working your way up the difficulty of the terrain as you do riding regular.

Side note: the people who do 180’s or multiples of it, to ride away switch and then just flick back to regular are doing it wrong, It’s much more stylish if you stomp your trick and ride away switch for at least a decent distance, after which you can butter out a 180 and ride away regular.

iamaperson - 27 June 2014 11:51 PM

Side note: the people who do 180’s or multiples of it, to ride away switch and then just flick back to regular are doing it wrong,

This is me….you don’t want to be like me!

I 100% agree with what iamaperson said, my switch leaves alot to be desired sometimes because i didnt start early like i shouldve, so what i do now from time to time is force myself to do full days everything switch, T-bars, chairlifts, jumps, rails, the whole kit and kaboodle! really helps me progress

Zarb - 27 June 2014 07:53 PM

Greetings,

I gave snowboarding a go this week at Perisher and loved it, I actually ended up leaving the mountain with an ex-demo setup for future trips. I’m heading back next week for more action.

I’ve been practicing 180s off some of the little natural features around Powder Ridge and am slowly getting the hang of it. My question is, how much does a prospective snowboarder need to learn to ride switch? Do I need to go as far as learning to link turns / carve riding switch? Watching the other boarders on the mountain, the only time they were switch was when they were coming in to a trick, or after landing. They would immediately then just slide back around to their normal stance.

One of the other boarders on the mountain said that when you’re a beginner, that’s the best time to learn switch. Just wondering how much time to devote before I move on to other things!

Cheers

Welcome to Boardworld, Zarb!  shaka

This is one of my favourite topics. I wrote an article on this very subject a while ago. Have a read here.

To answer your question… YES, it’s super important! The earlier you learn to ride switch, the stronger your freestyle skills will be and the faster you will progress. The reason not many people ride switch is because it’s not easy at the very start. They have neglected it and refuse to take the time to get good at it. Don’t follow their example! As a result, their riding suffers and they don’t progress as fast as they should, especially in regards to freestyle.

Once you dedicate some time to learning switch, you will be amazed at how easily you will get get at riding switch. It just takes a bit of dedication. Not only will your overall riding improve, but learning tricks like 180s will become so much easier and more solid!

Take a couple of runs each day and ride switch the whole way down. Stick with it and you will improve in no time! It’s the only way to do it. Let us know how you go!

I find when the conditions are bad, or we are with some one who’s learning, (like we were on the weekend) and we take our time with them while helping them.. That I ride switch to practice, or muck around with flat land stuff…

So last weekend I successfully rode excelerator from top to bottom switch, and even got a few tail presses in switch.. Next time ill try buttering switch..  (I’m definitely not as fluid with my switch riding.. But I’m getting there). Also managed 7 rotations (360) in a row while buttering.. Only stopped there as I got dizzy and caught my edge haha!

cords - 29 June 2014 06:31 AM
iamaperson - 27 June 2014 11:51 PM

Side note: the people who do 180’s or multiples of it, to ride away switch and then just flick back to regular are doing it wrong,

This is me….you don’t want to be like me!

Ha Ha, nice.

Misc thoughts on switch (in no particular order)

Switch is more important if you like doing cool tricks and other spinny capering.  If you just like to ride the terrain then it really doesn’t matter that much.

Snowboarding is awesome cos you can do cool tricks

It might be prudent to learn to ride in a reasonably technically proficient way (arms not waving everywhere, body not contorted) before trying to learn switch.  Riding switch is a lot about muscle memory so learning to ride switch badly probably isn’t the best long term plan.

As soon as your riding is fairly solid learning to ride switch has the following advantages: switch straight airs are good if you have pants that need soiling; you can learn tricks efficiently in pairs (frontside 180, cab 180 etc); some switch tricks are easier (cab spins mostly); when you’re traversing an exposed face it’s sometimes nice to have the option to be on your toe edge; it’s addictive

h0z - 01 July 2014 02:33 AM

Also managed 7 rotations (360) in a row while buttering.. Only stopped there as I got dizzy and caught my edge haha!

This is awesome, one of my personal favourite things to do on a board.

Like everyone has said start riding switch as early as possible, because if you wait you will have to learn it eventually and end up starting from scratch so to speak.

and I don’t believe that switch is only for doing cool tricks. I have found myself just exploring the mountain and there will be a rock or a tree or something that you have to avoid and sometimes the only way to avoid it is to do a quick about face and ride out switch. this has happened plenty of times and I can definitely go more places more smoothly by riding switch.

P.S. i know that everyone calls it switch but I still think its fakie

LowGuido - 04 July 2014 02:23 PM

and I don’t believe that switch is only for doing cool tricks. I have found myself just exploring the mountain and there will be a rock or a tree or something that you have to avoid and sometimes the only way to avoid it is to do a quick about face and ride out switch. this has happened plenty of times and I can definitely go more places more smoothly by riding switch.

This is a really important point. Being able to ride switch comfortably helps so much more than just being able to land 180s etc. In addition to the points LowGuido has mentioned, I have always preached that riding switch regularly give you a much more balanced, full-body workout. You aren’t just working muscles on one side of your body anymore! The main benefit here is you can ride for so much longer without fatiguing! Some terrain will put so much less strain on your muscles if you ride switch; think about a long heelside traverse… wouldn’t you be way more comfortable relaxing on your toeside edge? I know I am.

Haha bottom of pleasant valley at BC any one??  I always ride that switch, (being goofy) its good to take the weight off my right knee (my injured one) when just cruising with some one learning - I like toe side but my knee doesn’t after a while.. (its Mainly keeping it in the one position for a while starts to cramp it :( )  also why I like pressing.. Its gives my knee/leg something different to do! Hahaha

I love riding switch and would claim I can ride switch at about 70-80% of my regular stance capability. Do yourself a favour when you’re learning switch and do it with a true twin board in a full centred duck stance, I ride that way all the time, took about a day to get used to and means you’re setup to ride either way just the same!

When you can hit kickers and straight air in switch you know you’re really getting it!

Oh and one other thing, riding a snowboard switch doesnt mean that skill transfers to surfing, I tried it the other day and it still doesnt work ha ha!

haha, im the opposite NBG, when I take the mal out i often find myself un-intentionally jumping up switch and riding along. Cant do it on the short board though

NBG - 10 July 2014 10:03 AM

Oh and one other thing, riding a snowboard switch doesnt mean that skill transfers to surfing, I tried it the other day and it still doesnt work ha ha!

So much admiration for guys that can ride switch on a surfboard!!!!! (Properly)