The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Would you run with the bulls? (warning: graphic images)

Poll: Would you run with the bulls?
Total Votes: 19
Yes
No
Disapprove of the event

Warning: video is graphic. Don’t watch if you don’t want to see a dude getting gored.

Three men, including a 20-year-old tourist from the United States, were gored by bulls on Friday (July 12) at Spain’s traditional San Fermin festival in Pamplona, where revellers run through the cobbled streets chased by bulls.

Authorities did not give information on the condition of the U.S. tourist and a 31-year-old man from the eastern province of Castellon but said the third man, a 42-year-old from Barcelona, had “less serious” injuries.

Spanish broadcaster Atlas reported the 31-year old man from Castellon was gored three times as the bull tossed him around the road. Other runners eventually pulled the bull away from the man and dragged the injured runner to safety where he was then cared for by emergency services.

The San Fermin fiesta, one of hundreds of such bull-running fiestas held throughout Spain every year, was made famous by U.S. author Ernest Hemingway’s novel ‘The Sun Also Rises’ and now attracts participants from around the world.

The gorings on Friday were the first this year at the festival, which started on Sunday. The festival includes a daily run starting at 0600 GMT and usually lasting between two to five minutes.

The El Pilar bulls that ran on Friday are known for their speed.

A total of six people were injured, three through falls, including another American, aged 48.

Many of the participants, dressed all in white with red kerchiefs round their necks, drink all night before the early morning run.

A 27-year-old Spaniard was the last person to be killed during the San Fermin bull run after being gored in the neck by a bull in 2009.

There have been 14 fatalities over the past century at the fiesta that dates from the 13th century.

Ive had a couple of mates do this in spain in recent times. Said it was the biggest rush ever.. Not to mention scary as ****

I wanted to have a crack during my time in Europe but i was always working!!! Dammit!

a girl is in hospital today from a separate incident to the above.

I wanted to go when I was in europe and didn’t get a chance too.

I would not run, but have heard of a few friends whose boyfriends have run and refused to let their girlfriends… I hope that the gf just went along with it/used it as an excuse not to run themselves because the alternative pisses me off!

My Nephew did it a couple o years back!!!!!

He said it was both scary as shit, and totally a rush at the same time!!!!!

Ohh, and I reckon I’d prob give it a go!!!!!

The only Bull thing I don’t like is the Bull Fighting cause that’s just cruel as fuck!!!!!

id possibly give it a go, but im kinda glad when the bulls actually get someone

My sister was there and ran on the weekend, i was talking to her last night over Facebook and the national news over the has been describing it as the 2nd worse run in history, she said she seen a chick full get trampled and it was one of the most f@*ked things she has ever witnessed, she did also say she would do again tommorow though hahha

id do it for sure!
just make sure my cardio was good to go ...
theres some pretty funny vids on youtube of peeps getting nailed….

.....I don’t want to be that guy on youtube…

disagree with the killing,its wrong…
I love the pictures of a matador getting flogged by a bull with spears hanging out of it, KARMA!!! at its finest..

Mizu Kuma - 15 July 2013 04:07 PM

The only Bull thing I don’t like is the Bull Fighting cause that’s just cruel as fuck!!!!!

Unfortunately the bulls from the running are then moved on to the bullring and killed, not cool!  thumbsdown

drc13 - 15 July 2013 06:36 PM

Unfortunately the bulls from the running are then moved on to the bullring and killed, not cool!  thumbsdown

I wasn’t aware that was the case!!!!!

I change my vote to the last option!!!!!

drc13 - 15 July 2013 06:36 PM

Yeah it’s horrible ... retarded tourist event. They whip them and beat them before hand also to rev them up. :(

It’s just as dumb as that doctor in Bondi with the whale.

yeah I’m a no because I hate bullfighting itself and that they get killed afterwards in the running of the bulls. Not keen at all.

I’ve done it. One of the most insane things I’ve ever done. So awesome though and I would recommend it

The locals are pretty feisty so make sure you follow the rules - saw plenty of dumb tourists get beaten up by locals and plenty of girls getting spat on (according to tradition girls are not supposed to partake)

You are in this massive crowd and think there is no way a bull could get to you - one minute I was running with the bulls about 50 metres behind, turn my head and there is one just 2 or 3 metres from me. Scary

Yes it is cruel what they do to the bulls, but in a way they do treat them with a lot of respect. Main thing to remember is its a tradition and a big occasion for the locals, not something they put on just for tourists.

StamfordKid - 16 July 2013 08:00 AM

I’ve done it. One of the most insane things I’ve ever done. So awesome though and I would recommend it

The locals are pretty feisty so make sure you follow the rules - saw plenty of dumb tourists get beaten up by locals and plenty of girls getting spat on (according to tradition girls are not supposed to partake)

You are in this massive crowd and think there is no way a bull could get to you - one minute I was running with the bulls about 50 metres behind, turn my head and there is one just 2 or 3 metres from me. Scary

Yes it is cruel what they do to the bulls, but in a way they do treat them with a lot of respect. Main thing to remember is its a tradition and a big occasion for the locals, not something they put on just for tourists.

Yeah would be a rush no doubt.

I don’t care if it’s tradition or not, humans need to evolve. It’s tradition to Chinese medicine also shark fin, gall bladder from bears, elephant tusks…list goes on and on. I’m not having a dig at you all smile just passionate about animal welfare.

bkrtron - 16 July 2013 10:14 AM
StamfordKid - 16 July 2013 08:00 AM

Yeah would be a rush no doubt.

I don’t care if it’s tradition or not, humans need to evolve. It’s tradition to Chinese medicine also shark fin, gall bladder from bears, elephant tusks…list goes on and on. I’m not having a dig at you all smile just passionate about animal welfare.

Hear, hear.

It’s a definite no from me.

Mates have done it, loved it. i would def do it.

My sis wanted to do it but girls arent allowed/not supposed to. She saw a few girls getting spat on/things thrown at them for trying to jump in.